Re: [AtkinBoats] Question about Onions and Oats

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
      Richard Smith's Wild Onion, Minka, was built using plywood planking, with
      guidance from John Atkin. The chapter on Wild Onion in Practical Small
      Boat Designs is pretty vague, but reading between the lines of it and the
      article on Minka it seems to me that John A. tweaked the looks of Wild
      Oats a tad and converted the construction to plywood planking for Mr.
      Smith to come up with Wild Onion. In the print catalog the construction is
      given as batten-seam or plywood, so I must have seen that somewhere. <g>
      At any rate, Wild Onion could be, and has been, built using plywood
      planking. If you decide to build a Wild Onion I imagine Richard Smith
      would be glad to give you some advice.

      On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:34:14 -0800, Russell wrote:

      > I have a quick question after reading the online article about the boat
      > Minka. Looking at those cabin photos the hull sure looks like plywood
      > on frame.

      "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
      "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the
      truth. <Alfred North Whitehead>
    • rljssn
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
        Thanks so much John. That helps me make up my mind. I'm trying to
        figure out why I don't see more of these around. The version drawn up
        in 1982 I figure might have scantlings for a plywood option. Not many
        folks building in batten seam except the restoration guys and their
        runabouts. I try an make contact with Mr. Smith.

        thanks,
        Russell

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
          What are the articles like in John's book Practical Small Boat
          Designs? Are the plans complete but in miniature print? I have an
          old 'How to build twenty boats' and the larger the boat the smaller
          the print. The small boats you could build from the article.

          I only ask since I found a good deal on this book and was curious.
          I'll try and get Santa to deliver the plans.
          Russell