Re: Question about Onions and Oats

  • rljssn
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, holzboat@... wrote:

      > Red Onion and Wild Oats are batten seam construction, 3/4" white
      cedar on 1/2" x 2 1/2" oak seam battens. I imagine Wild Onion is the
      same.

      Batten seam huh? That would explain why you don't see so many of
      those around. What am I seeing in the pictures from the article? In
      the cabin photo you can see the keelson with a big slot for the
      centerboard trunk I suppose. In the sides I see some vertical frames
      of some sort and between those is what looks like plywood. Is that a
      ceiling planking to cover the battens? The typical construction of
      1938 would be batten seam. But looking at the lines of Red Onion a
      plywood planking job would be simple. The 'skipjack' form of the
      later boats might be alot tougher. The forefoot of a v-bottom can
      sometimes be trouble.

      Has a plywood 'skipjack' been done with this plan? I don't intend to
      modify the design other than get her tight enough for trailering. I
      am afraid the batten seam boats tended to leak a bit unless you had
      superb planking stock and careful caulking (expert).

      thanks,
      Russell
    • rljssn
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
        The Red Onion lines are so simple the plywood planking may have been
        substituted for the particular craft in the article. In the photo of
        the cabin from the article you can see the slot in the keelson and
        the frames but no battens. That right? That cabin bulkhead also looks
        like ply. Batten seam in 1938 is typical and I don't doubt that was
        the original specification.

        The later boats of the 'skipjack' (v-bottom) would be tougher to get
        out in plywood planking. Has this been done yet? That forefoot might
        have to be cold molded but the rest of the form looks straight
        forward. I really don't want to depart from the original design
        except for the planking choice.

        Is this not the best choice for a pocket cruiser? It is really
        growing on me.

        Russell

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, holzboat@... wrote:

        > Red Onion and Wild Oats are batten seam construction, 3/4" white
        cedar on 1/2" x 2 1/2" oak seam battens. I imagine Wild Onion is the
        same.

        Oats

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
          Richard Smith's Wild Onion, Minka, was built using plywood planking, with
          guidance from John Atkin. The chapter on Wild Onion in Practical Small
          Boat Designs is pretty vague, but reading between the lines of it and the
          article on Minka it seems to me that John A. tweaked the looks of Wild
          Oats a tad and converted the construction to plywood planking for Mr.
          Smith to come up with Wild Onion. In the print catalog the construction is
          given as batten-seam or plywood, so I must have seen that somewhere. <g>
          At any rate, Wild Onion could be, and has been, built using plywood
          planking. If you decide to build a Wild Onion I imagine Richard Smith
          would be glad to give you some advice.

          On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:34:14 -0800, Russell wrote:

          > I have a quick question after reading the online article about the boat
          > Minka. Looking at those cabin photos the hull sure looks like plywood
          > on frame.

          "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
          "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the
          truth. <Alfred North Whitehead>
        • rljssn
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
            Thanks so much John. That helps me make up my mind. I'm trying to
            figure out why I don't see more of these around. The version drawn up
            in 1982 I figure might have scantlings for a plywood option. Not many
            folks building in batten seam except the restoration guys and their
            runabouts. I try an make contact with Mr. Smith.

            thanks,
            Russell

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
              What are the articles like in John's book Practical Small Boat
              Designs? Are the plans complete but in miniature print? I have an
              old 'How to build twenty boats' and the larger the boat the smaller
              the print. The small boats you could build from the article.

              I only ask since I found a good deal on this book and was curious.
              I'll try and get Santa to deliver the plans.
              Russell