Question about Onions and Oats

  • rljssn
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
      I have a quick question after reading the online article about the boat
      Minka. Looking at those cabin photos the hull sure looks like plywood
      on frame.

      The question: what is the construction method for Red Onion, Wild Oats
      and Wild oats?

      thanks all,
      Russell

      ps-my Elon Jessup project got cancelled since I received a free
      outboard skiff just recently.
    • holzboat@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
        Red Onion and Wild Oats are batten seam construction, 3/4" white cedar on 1/2" x 2 1/2" oak seam battens. I imagine Wild Onion is the same.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, holzboat@... wrote:

          > Red Onion and Wild Oats are batten seam construction, 3/4" white
          cedar on 1/2" x 2 1/2" oak seam battens. I imagine Wild Onion is the
          same.

          Batten seam huh? That would explain why you don't see so many of
          those around. What am I seeing in the pictures from the article? In
          the cabin photo you can see the keelson with a big slot for the
          centerboard trunk I suppose. In the sides I see some vertical frames
          of some sort and between those is what looks like plywood. Is that a
          ceiling planking to cover the battens? The typical construction of
          1938 would be batten seam. But looking at the lines of Red Onion a
          plywood planking job would be simple. The 'skipjack' form of the
          later boats might be alot tougher. The forefoot of a v-bottom can
          sometimes be trouble.

          Has a plywood 'skipjack' been done with this plan? I don't intend to
          modify the design other than get her tight enough for trailering. I
          am afraid the batten seam boats tended to leak a bit unless you had
          superb planking stock and careful caulking (expert).

          thanks,
          Russell
        • rljssn
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
            The Red Onion lines are so simple the plywood planking may have been
            substituted for the particular craft in the article. In the photo of
            the cabin from the article you can see the slot in the keelson and
            the frames but no battens. That right? That cabin bulkhead also looks
            like ply. Batten seam in 1938 is typical and I don't doubt that was
            the original specification.

            The later boats of the 'skipjack' (v-bottom) would be tougher to get
            out in plywood planking. Has this been done yet? That forefoot might
            have to be cold molded but the rest of the form looks straight
            forward. I really don't want to depart from the original design
            except for the planking choice.

            Is this not the best choice for a pocket cruiser? It is really
            growing on me.

            Russell

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
              Richard Smith's Wild Onion, Minka, was built using plywood planking, with
              guidance from John Atkin. The chapter on Wild Onion in Practical Small
              Boat Designs is pretty vague, but reading between the lines of it and the
              article on Minka it seems to me that John A. tweaked the looks of Wild
              Oats a tad and converted the construction to plywood planking for Mr.
              Smith to come up with Wild Onion. In the print catalog the construction is
              given as batten-seam or plywood, so I must have seen that somewhere. <g>
              At any rate, Wild Onion could be, and has been, built using plywood
              planking. If you decide to build a Wild Onion I imagine Richard Smith
              would be glad to give you some advice.

              On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:34:14 -0800, Russell wrote:

              > I have a quick question after reading the online article about the boat
              > Minka. Looking at those cabin photos the hull sure looks like plywood
              > on frame.

              "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
              "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the
              truth. <Alfred North Whitehead>
            • rljssn
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
                Thanks so much John. That helps me make up my mind. I'm trying to
                figure out why I don't see more of these around. The version drawn up
                in 1982 I figure might have scantlings for a plywood option. Not many
                folks building in batten seam except the restoration guys and their
                runabouts. I try an make contact with Mr. Smith.

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
                  What are the articles like in John's book Practical Small Boat
                  Designs? Are the plans complete but in miniature print? I have an
                  old 'How to build twenty boats' and the larger the boat the smaller
                  the print. The small boats you could build from the article.

                  I only ask since I found a good deal on this book and was curious.
                  I'll try and get Santa to deliver the plans.
                  Russell