Re: sabot

  • baycruiser54
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006

      > Sabot was designed sometime around 1935, so I fear that the drawings
      were
      > lost in the hurricane of 1938 which washed away Wm. Atkin's home,
      > Mizzentop. But we can ask Mrs. Atkin -- She's design number 345 Pat!
      Most
      > of the surviving Atkin plans from before the hurricane only survived
      > because they were in the posession of Hearst Publishing...

      > Sabot is an interesting little boat. A similar, though somewhat larger
      > boat is Katydid, also drawn in the early to mid '30s:
      >
      > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Katydid.html
      >
      > On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:55:53 -0700, baycruiser54 wrote:
      >
      > > John,
      > > Any hope of putting plans for Sabot on the website?
      >
      > --
      > John <jkohnen@...>
      > Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
      > Tilman>

      Many thanks, John. I'll look at Katydid. Meantime, here's hoping #345
      survived.
    • benefruct
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16 8:31 PM
        There is an excellent chapter ( with lines) of the Sabot in Roger C .Taylor's STILL MORE
        GOOD BOATS 1981 IMPC
      • Mike Dolph
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 18 11:32 AM
          Can you give me any info on International Marine Publishing Company?
          They did a lot of great books but seemed to be left out of the
          internet revolution. Any good (cheap) sources?

          John Dolph

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "benefruct" <ken@...> wrote:

          > There is an excellent chapter ( with lines) of the Sabot in Roger
          C .Taylor's STILL MORE
          > GOOD BOATS 1981 IMPC

        • sals_dad
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18 4:40 PM
            International Marine is Still around, part of McGraw-Hill, and still
            putting out good books:
            http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/landingpage.php?template=im

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 18 11:23 PM
              They still publish some good books, but nothing like the Good Old Days
              when they were a small publisher run by Real boat nuts. :o(

              I usually use Advanced Book Exchange (ABE) to find used books:

              http://www.abebooks.com/

              On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:40:56 -0800, sals_dad wrote:

              > International Marine is Still around, part of McGraw-Hill, and still
              > putting out good books:
              > http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/landingpage.php?template=im

              He got hold of the red meat of the language and turned it into
              hamburgers. <Richard Gordon on Ernest Hemingway>