Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Russell R

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 16, 2006
      I figured those were just molds, but those fancy gussets you used almost
      fooled me. <g> I guess you're going to go with the frameless bottom as per
      the plans. I see you laid the bottom plywood crosswise, just like I would
      have. What thickness ply did you use?

      I hope you're going to make the cuddy light and low, something like Little
      Effort's. I think the canvas top, as drawn, is a better setup, since the
      headroom won't be as cramped.

      That Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury engine seems like a good one. The Tohatsu 15
      is just a detuned 18, so I can see why you were tempted to go for the
      extra power at the same weight. That'll be 50% more power than the plans
      call for, but using extra power to compensate for an overweight boat is a
      Bad Idea -- that's what a lot of the modern motorboat manufacturers do!
      Along with using horsepower to compensate for poor design... Too bad lots
      of horsepower can't compensate for the looks! <g> So try to keep your boat
      light!

      I don't see where Russell R. would fit into my fleet right now. But I'm
      trying to work up enough gumption to start a Sprite. I've got some
      engines, new and old, that'd be just right for Sprite, but are too big for
      any of the boats I've got now...

      On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:52:33 -0700, Jeff wrote:

      > Hey John,
      > The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one
      > at a
      > time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I
      > plan
      > on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the
      > sides
      > and bottom.
      > To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project
      > so far
      > and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

      It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
      word! <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
    • Jeff Hutter
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 5, 2008
        You can see the photos under "On The Job II"
      • F. Neil Simms
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
          Stunning! Can you give us a report on how you powered her, and
          performance achieved, especially max speed, cruise speed, and fuel
          consumption?

          Congrats!

          Neil S.
        • huttbldr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
            she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14 hours
            on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

          • adharvey2
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
              Great job, Jeff! It's great to see those really unique designs come to
              life in pictures, and especially helpful to those contemplating
              similar designs. Now I have a better idea of how "Little Effort" might
              look in 3D.

              I love all the bright work you put on her - especially the foredeck.

              Andrew Harvey

              -- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

              > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

            • waltbald
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 9, 2008
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                Fabulous boat! Of course now people are going to take you for some old
                money type. They'll be trying to remember you from Yale and wanting
                you to pitch in a few mil for their margin call and asking you where
                to put what's left of their money.

                have fun,

                Walter Owens
              • David
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
                  Damfine Job.

                  Cheers,
                  David G

                  *************

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
                    Thank you, building her has been one of the most fascinating things I've
                    ever done.

                  • uncleralph123
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 12, 2009
                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

                      > she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14
                      hours
                      > on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

                      Beautiful job. Do you have an update on its performance?

                      Ralph
                    • huttbldr@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 12, 2009
                        She handles better than I thought she would. Wen't thru 2 foot wake like a
                        hot knife thru butter. Having a problem with the motor right now. I was
                        charging the battries when the motor started smokeing. I't melted the oil cap. The
                        motor did'nt seem to overheat. It looks like the cap melted from the inside.

                        In a message dated 2/12/2009 10:31:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                        UncleRalph@... writes:

                        --- In _AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_ (mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com) ,

                        now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000002)