Re: [AtkinBoats] sabot

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
      Sabot was designed sometime around 1935, so I fear that the drawings were
      lost in the hurricane of 1938 which washed away Wm. Atkin's home,
      Mizzentop. But we can ask Mrs. Atkin -- She's design number 345 Pat! Most
      of the surviving Atkin plans from before the hurricane only survived
      because they were in the posession of Hearst Publishing...

      Sabot is an interesting little boat. A similar, though somewhat larger
      boat is Katydid, also drawn in the early to mid '30s:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Katydid.html

      On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:55:53 -0700, baycruiser54 wrote:

      > John,
      > Any hope of putting plans for Sabot on the website?

      Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
      Tilman>
    • baycruiser54
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006

        > Sabot was designed sometime around 1935, so I fear that the drawings
        were
        > lost in the hurricane of 1938 which washed away Wm. Atkin's home,
        > Mizzentop. But we can ask Mrs. Atkin -- She's design number 345 Pat!
        Most
        > of the surviving Atkin plans from before the hurricane only survived
        > because they were in the posession of Hearst Publishing...

        > Sabot is an interesting little boat. A similar, though somewhat larger
        > boat is Katydid, also drawn in the early to mid '30s:
        >
        > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Katydid.html
        >
        > On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:55:53 -0700, baycruiser54 wrote:
        >
        > > John,
        > > Any hope of putting plans for Sabot on the website?
        >
        > --
        > John <jkohnen@...>
        > Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
        > Tilman>

        Many thanks, John. I'll look at Katydid. Meantime, here's hoping #345
        survived.
      • benefruct
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
          There is an excellent chapter ( with lines) of the Sabot in Roger C .Taylor's STILL MORE
          GOOD BOATS 1981 IMPC
        • Mike Dolph
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2006
            Can you give me any info on International Marine Publishing Company?
            They did a lot of great books but seemed to be left out of the
            internet revolution. Any good (cheap) sources?

            John Dolph

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "benefruct" <ken@...> wrote:

            > There is an excellent chapter ( with lines) of the Sabot in Roger
            C .Taylor's STILL MORE
            > GOOD BOATS 1981 IMPC

          • sals_dad
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 18, 2006
              International Marine is Still around, part of McGraw-Hill, and still
              putting out good books:
              http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/landingpage.php?template=im

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 18, 2006
                They still publish some good books, but nothing like the Good Old Days
                when they were a small publisher run by Real boat nuts. :o(

                I usually use Advanced Book Exchange (ABE) to find used books:

                http://www.abebooks.com/

                On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:40:56 -0800, sals_dad wrote:

                > International Marine is Still around, part of McGraw-Hill, and still
                > putting out good books:
                > http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/landingpage.php?template=im

                He got hold of the red meat of the language and turned it into
                hamburgers. <Richard Gordon on Ernest Hemingway>