sabot

  • baycruiser54
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 14, 2006
      John,
      Any hope of putting plans for Sabot on the website?
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
        Sabot was designed sometime around 1935, so I fear that the drawings were
        lost in the hurricane of 1938 which washed away Wm. Atkin's home,
        Mizzentop. But we can ask Mrs. Atkin -- She's design number 345 Pat! Most
        of the surviving Atkin plans from before the hurricane only survived
        because they were in the posession of Hearst Publishing...

        Sabot is an interesting little boat. A similar, though somewhat larger
        boat is Katydid, also drawn in the early to mid '30s:

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Katydid.html

        On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:55:53 -0700, baycruiser54 wrote:

        > John,
        > Any hope of putting plans for Sabot on the website?

        Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
        Tilman>
      • baycruiser54
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006

          > Sabot was designed sometime around 1935, so I fear that the drawings
          were
          > lost in the hurricane of 1938 which washed away Wm. Atkin's home,
          > Mizzentop. But we can ask Mrs. Atkin -- She's design number 345 Pat!
          Most
          > of the surviving Atkin plans from before the hurricane only survived
          > because they were in the posession of Hearst Publishing...

          > Sabot is an interesting little boat. A similar, though somewhat larger
          > boat is Katydid, also drawn in the early to mid '30s:
          >
          > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Katydid.html
          >
          > On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:55:53 -0700, baycruiser54 wrote:
          >
          > > John,
          > > Any hope of putting plans for Sabot on the website?
          >
          > --
          > John <jkohnen@...>
          > Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
          > Tilman>

          Many thanks, John. I'll look at Katydid. Meantime, here's hoping #345
          survived.
        • benefruct
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 16, 2006
            There is an excellent chapter ( with lines) of the Sabot in Roger C .Taylor's STILL MORE
            GOOD BOATS 1981 IMPC
          • Mike Dolph
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 18, 2006
              Can you give me any info on International Marine Publishing Company?
              They did a lot of great books but seemed to be left out of the
              internet revolution. Any good (cheap) sources?

              John Dolph

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "benefruct" <ken@...> wrote:

              > There is an excellent chapter ( with lines) of the Sabot in Roger
              C .Taylor's STILL MORE
              > GOOD BOATS 1981 IMPC

            • sals_dad
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 18, 2006
                International Marine is Still around, part of McGraw-Hill, and still
                putting out good books:
                http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/landingpage.php?template=im

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 18, 2006
                  They still publish some good books, but nothing like the Good Old Days
                  when they were a small publisher run by Real boat nuts. :o(

                  I usually use Advanced Book Exchange (ABE) to find used books:

                  http://www.abebooks.com/

                  On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 16:40:56 -0800, sals_dad wrote:

                  > International Marine is Still around, part of McGraw-Hill, and still
                  > putting out good books:
                  > http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/landingpage.php?template=im

                  He got hold of the red meat of the language and turned it into
                  hamburgers. <Richard Gordon on Ernest Hemingway>