Re: Request for plans is in the mail !

  • alan terry
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2004
      > Where are you intending to use your Rocking Chair Alan? I imagine
      most of us
      > don't know much about New Zealand cruising spots, and would like
      to hear
      > about them.

      I live in the Nelson/Marlborough region at the northern end of the
      South Island. Nelson waters comprise of 2 semi-sheltered bays
      (Golden Bay and Tasman Bay) which are fringed with small coves, long
      sandy beaches, shallow tidal estuaries and a few small harbours.
      Directly to the east is the Marlborough Sounds, (Pelorous and Queen
      Charlotte) which is extensive, scenic, and mostly sheltered. This
      combined area is one of the 2 most popular boating recreational
      areas in the country. Hope you enjoy the following links as much as
      I enjoyed selecting them :)

      http://www.nzescape.com/abel-tasman-golden-bay.html

      http://www.nzescape.com/marlborough-sounds.html

      http://www.doc.govt.nz/Regional-Info/009~Nelson-
      Marlborough/001~About/Map-of-Nelson-Marlborough.asp

      "Rocking Chair" will be a rarity, if not unique, in this area. It
      will spend most of its time on a scenic mooring as a venue for
      relaxing with a glass of wine or 3, and will change location with
      caution (in summer at least). More extensive cruising will be
      possible in the winters, when the weather is more settled.
      Even though there is probably not a barge type houseboat in this
      area at present, there are many work barges. These are used for
      transport and for harvesting mussels. Many are huge, of course, but
      many are only as big as "Rocking Chair". The huge ones are usually
      made of steel. A lot of the smaller barges are built of aluminium
      (the flasher ones!) and some are built of plywood (I know of one
      construction grade plywood barge still going strong after 10 years
      continuous use without fibreglassing,paint only, and with the inside
      sealed with bituminous emulsion).

      Alan
    • alan terry
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2004
        > http://www.doc.govt.nz/Regional-Info/009~Nelson-
        > Marlborough/001~About/Map-of-Nelson-Marlborough.asp

        This is all 1 URL. No spaces between Nelson, the hyphen, and
        Marlborough. How do I make it come out as an active link over 2
        lines?