Wild Duck and Atkins Plans

  • douglasboats
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2006
      First I would like to express my thanks for the existance of this
      group. It is providing me with additional insite and motivation to
      go
      through with my big plans.

      I have been going over the study plans for Tally Ho!, Wild Duck and
      Tally Ho Major with my preference leaning towards Wild Duck. In
      reviewing the older emails I found the following link:
      http://www.woodenboatrescue.org/Akin%20Wild%20Duck.htm
      This has provided even more kindling to my fire!

      So my questions are about the quality of the plans from Atkins & Co,
      are they clear and legible, concise and specific in detail, etc. I
      understand that the Atkins both assumed a knowledge of boatbuilding
      and with the help of some good books and myself, I will get there.
      But even with these plans coming from drawings that are sometimes
      decades old, are they legible and can I get the detail I need. I
      have
      ordered older plans from another company and found I could not read
      the lines and offsets, so I was pretty dead in the water with
      those.
      Just want some good stuff this time.

      I put an Uncle John's pirogue together last winter and now I am
      lofting Sam Rabl's 18' Picaroon II (round bottom version). I figure
      that will give me some additional experience before I tackle the
      Wild
      Duck. Need to get 2 boys out of college anyway first.

      So any thoughts, criticisms, ideas will be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks
      Don Douglas
      Colorado Springs, CO