New Hope vs. RumbleTumbleAnn

  • alankornhauser
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2006
      William Atkin designed RumbleTumbleAnn as a typical centerboard sharpie.
      He then modified the design to produce New Hope, a sharpie with a shoal
      keel. I'm thinking about building a plywood version of New Hope.

      It's clear that upwind performance will suffer from the
      centerboard-shoal keel changeover. Either drag will increase, or
      leeway will increase, or both. The question is, "How much?" Does
      anyone have any quantitative handle on the extent performance will
      suffer, such as increase in tacking angle or decrease in distance made
      to windward?