Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Russell R

  • huttbldr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
      Hey John,
      The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one at a
      time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I plan
      on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the sides
      and bottom.
      To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project so far
      and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

      Later Jeff

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 16, 2006
        I figured those were just molds, but those fancy gussets you used almost
        fooled me. <g> I guess you're going to go with the frameless bottom as per
        the plans. I see you laid the bottom plywood crosswise, just like I would
        have. What thickness ply did you use?

        I hope you're going to make the cuddy light and low, something like Little
        Effort's. I think the canvas top, as drawn, is a better setup, since the
        headroom won't be as cramped.

        That Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury engine seems like a good one. The Tohatsu 15
        is just a detuned 18, so I can see why you were tempted to go for the
        extra power at the same weight. That'll be 50% more power than the plans
        call for, but using extra power to compensate for an overweight boat is a
        Bad Idea -- that's what a lot of the modern motorboat manufacturers do!
        Along with using horsepower to compensate for poor design... Too bad lots
        of horsepower can't compensate for the looks! <g> So try to keep your boat
        light!

        I don't see where Russell R. would fit into my fleet right now. But I'm
        trying to work up enough gumption to start a Sprite. I've got some
        engines, new and old, that'd be just right for Sprite, but are too big for
        any of the boats I've got now...

        On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:52:33 -0700, Jeff wrote:

        > Hey John,
        > The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one
        > at a
        > time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I
        > plan
        > on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the
        > sides
        > and bottom.
        > To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project
        > so far
        > and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

        It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
        word! <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
      • Jeff Hutter
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 5, 2008
          You can see the photos under "On The Job II"
        • F. Neil Simms
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
            Stunning! Can you give us a report on how you powered her, and
            performance achieved, especially max speed, cruise speed, and fuel
            consumption?

            Congrats!

            Neil S.
          • huttbldr@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
              she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14 hours
              on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

            • adharvey2
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
                Great job, Jeff! It's great to see those really unique designs come to
                life in pictures, and especially helpful to those contemplating
                similar designs. Now I have a better idea of how "Little Effort" might
                look in 3D.

                I love all the bright work you put on her - especially the foredeck.

                Andrew Harvey

                -- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

              • waltbald
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 9, 2008
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                  > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                  Fabulous boat! Of course now people are going to take you for some old
                  money type. They'll be trying to remember you from Yale and wanting
                  you to pitch in a few mil for their margin call and asking you where
                  to put what's left of their money.

                  have fun,

                  Walter Owens
                • David
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
                    Damfine Job.

                    Cheers,
                    David G

                    *************

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
                      Thank you, building her has been one of the most fascinating things I've
                      ever done.

                    • uncleralph123
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 12, 2009
                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

                        > she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14
                        hours
                        > on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

                        Beautiful job. Do you have an update on its performance?

                        Ralph
                      • huttbldr@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 12, 2009
                          She handles better than I thought she would. Wen't thru 2 foot wake like a
                          hot knife thru butter. Having a problem with the motor right now. I was
                          charging the battries when the motor started smokeing. I't melted the oil cap. The
                          motor did'nt seem to overheat. It looks like the cap melted from the inside.

                          In a message dated 2/12/2009 10:31:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                          UncleRalph@... writes:

                          --- In _AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_ (mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com) ,

                          now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000002)