Re: Russell R

  • Mike Dolph
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 9, 2006
      I feel I missed the boat since this was the design I had hoped to
      build in Brazil. Well, I still have the plans as no one from the
      NGO I tried to donate them to ever showed up to get them. Maybe
      someday I'll build it in plywood with your pictures and advice to
      help me. I'm sure this will look better in WoodenBoat Magazine's
      launchings section that the rough job I had planned to do with local
      timber.

      What sort of cabin, if any, are you planning? Are all those frames
      staying in the boat? I had intended to make a "bird watcher" cabin
      with plexiglass sides if possible. It may be too late to help but I
      can pass on a tip I had from one of our members in Nicaragua: make
      sure you have enough width in the motor well to incline the outboard
      of your choice when it is turned hard over. The safety reason being
      that it might otherwise chew up the well in reverse or running
      aground. I had planned to use a Yamaha 15 HP two cycle because of
      it's ready availability and service network in Brazil, you of course
      have many more choices.

      I spent so much time dreaming over those plans! Thanks from me
      personally for sharing with us.

      John Dolph

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...>

    • huttbldr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 10, 2006
        Hey John,
        The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one at a
        time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I plan
        on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the sides
        and bottom.
        To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project so far
        and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

        Later Jeff

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 16, 2006
          I figured those were just molds, but those fancy gussets you used almost
          fooled me. <g> I guess you're going to go with the frameless bottom as per
          the plans. I see you laid the bottom plywood crosswise, just like I would
          have. What thickness ply did you use?

          I hope you're going to make the cuddy light and low, something like Little
          Effort's. I think the canvas top, as drawn, is a better setup, since the
          headroom won't be as cramped.

          That Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury engine seems like a good one. The Tohatsu 15
          is just a detuned 18, so I can see why you were tempted to go for the
          extra power at the same weight. That'll be 50% more power than the plans
          call for, but using extra power to compensate for an overweight boat is a
          Bad Idea -- that's what a lot of the modern motorboat manufacturers do!
          Along with using horsepower to compensate for poor design... Too bad lots
          of horsepower can't compensate for the looks! <g> So try to keep your boat
          light!

          I don't see where Russell R. would fit into my fleet right now. But I'm
          trying to work up enough gumption to start a Sprite. I've got some
          engines, new and old, that'd be just right for Sprite, but are too big for
          any of the boats I've got now...

          On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:52:33 -0700, Jeff wrote:

          > Hey John,
          > The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one
          > at a
          > time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I
          > plan
          > on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the
          > sides
          > and bottom.
          > To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project
          > so far
          > and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

          It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
          word! <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
        • Jeff Hutter
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
            You can see the photos under "On The Job II"
          • F. Neil Simms
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
              Stunning! Can you give us a report on how you powered her, and
              performance achieved, especially max speed, cruise speed, and fuel
              consumption?

              Congrats!

              Neil S.
            • huttbldr@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14 hours
                on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

              • adharvey2
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                  Great job, Jeff! It's great to see those really unique designs come to
                  life in pictures, and especially helpful to those contemplating
                  similar designs. Now I have a better idea of how "Little Effort" might
                  look in 3D.

                  I love all the bright work you put on her - especially the foredeck.

                  Andrew Harvey

                  -- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                  > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                • waltbald
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 9, 2008
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                    > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                    Fabulous boat! Of course now people are going to take you for some old
                    money type. They'll be trying to remember you from Yale and wanting
                    you to pitch in a few mil for their margin call and asking you where
                    to put what's left of their money.

                    have fun,

                    Walter Owens
                  • David
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 19, 2008
                      Damfine Job.

                      Cheers,
                      David G

                      *************

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 19, 2008
                        Thank you, building her has been one of the most fascinating things I've
                        ever done.

                      • uncleralph123
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 12, 2009
                          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

                          > she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14
                          hours
                          > on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

                          Beautiful job. Do you have an update on its performance?

                          Ralph
                        • huttbldr@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 12, 2009
                            She handles better than I thought she would. Wen't thru 2 foot wake like a
                            hot knife thru butter. Having a problem with the motor right now. I was
                            charging the battries when the motor started smokeing. I't melted the oil cap. The
                            motor did'nt seem to overheat. It looks like the cap melted from the inside.

                            In a message dated 2/12/2009 10:31:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                            UncleRalph@... writes:

                            --- In _AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_ (mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com) ,
                            huttbldr@... wrote:

                            > she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14
                            hours
                            > on the motor as I'm still learning how she handles.

                            Beautiful job. Do you have an update on its performance?

                            Ralph

                            now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000002)

                          • huttbldr
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 14, 2015
                              On the job II is for sale. As seen in Wooden Boat magazine May/June 2012 #226. If anybody is interested. She's in excellent condition.