Re: [AtkinBoats] Russell R

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 9, 2006
      Thanks for the pictures Jeff! Russell R. is one of my favorite Atkin
      boats, so I'm thrilled to see one being built. Here's a link to pictures
      of Jeff's project -- she looks great so far!

      http://tinyurl.com/l2gae

      Please tell us some more about the construction details; plywood
      thickness, framing, etc. What do you plan to use for power?

      On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:43:18 -0700, Jeff Hutter wrote:

      > I sent a bunch of pics of the building process to date. Hope they are
      > of some intrest.
      > Oh, I'm not very good with computers so I sent the website with the
      > pics to John. If this does'nt work please let me know and I will figure
      > out some other way.

      I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the
      better for it. <Abraham Lincoln>
    • Mike Dolph
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 9, 2006
        I feel I missed the boat since this was the design I had hoped to
        build in Brazil. Well, I still have the plans as no one from the
        NGO I tried to donate them to ever showed up to get them. Maybe
        someday I'll build it in plywood with your pictures and advice to
        help me. I'm sure this will look better in WoodenBoat Magazine's
        launchings section that the rough job I had planned to do with local
        timber.

        What sort of cabin, if any, are you planning? Are all those frames
        staying in the boat? I had intended to make a "bird watcher" cabin
        with plexiglass sides if possible. It may be too late to help but I
        can pass on a tip I had from one of our members in Nicaragua: make
        sure you have enough width in the motor well to incline the outboard
        of your choice when it is turned hard over. The safety reason being
        that it might otherwise chew up the well in reverse or running
        aground. I had planned to use a Yamaha 15 HP two cycle because of
        it's ready availability and service network in Brazil, you of course
        have many more choices.

        I spent so much time dreaming over those plans! Thanks from me
        personally for sharing with us.

        John Dolph

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...>

      • huttbldr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 10, 2006
          Hey John,
          The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one at a
          time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I plan
          on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the sides
          and bottom.
          To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project so far
          and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

          Later Jeff

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 16, 2006
            I figured those were just molds, but those fancy gussets you used almost
            fooled me. <g> I guess you're going to go with the frameless bottom as per
            the plans. I see you laid the bottom plywood crosswise, just like I would
            have. What thickness ply did you use?

            I hope you're going to make the cuddy light and low, something like Little
            Effort's. I think the canvas top, as drawn, is a better setup, since the
            headroom won't be as cramped.

            That Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury engine seems like a good one. The Tohatsu 15
            is just a detuned 18, so I can see why you were tempted to go for the
            extra power at the same weight. That'll be 50% more power than the plans
            call for, but using extra power to compensate for an overweight boat is a
            Bad Idea -- that's what a lot of the modern motorboat manufacturers do!
            Along with using horsepower to compensate for poor design... Too bad lots
            of horsepower can't compensate for the looks! <g> So try to keep your boat
            light!

            I don't see where Russell R. would fit into my fleet right now. But I'm
            trying to work up enough gumption to start a Sprite. I've got some
            engines, new and old, that'd be just right for Sprite, but are too big for
            any of the boats I've got now...

            On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:52:33 -0700, Jeff wrote:

            > Hey John,
            > The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one
            > at a
            > time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I
            > plan
            > on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the
            > sides
            > and bottom.
            > To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project
            > so far
            > and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

            It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
            word! <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
          • Jeff Hutter
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008
              You can see the photos under "On The Job II"
            • F. Neil Simms
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                Stunning! Can you give us a report on how you powered her, and
                performance achieved, especially max speed, cruise speed, and fuel
                consumption?

                Congrats!

                Neil S.
              • huttbldr@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                  she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14 hours
                  on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

                • adharvey2
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                    Great job, Jeff! It's great to see those really unique designs come to
                    life in pictures, and especially helpful to those contemplating
                    similar designs. Now I have a better idea of how "Little Effort" might
                    look in 3D.

                    I love all the bright work you put on her - especially the foredeck.

                    Andrew Harvey

                    -- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                    > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                  • waltbald
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 9, 2008
                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                      > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                      Fabulous boat! Of course now people are going to take you for some old
                      money type. They'll be trying to remember you from Yale and wanting
                      you to pitch in a few mil for their margin call and asking you where
                      to put what's left of their money.

                      have fun,

                      Walter Owens
                    • David
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 19, 2008
                        Damfine Job.

                        Cheers,
                        David G

                        *************

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 19, 2008
                          Thank you, building her has been one of the most fascinating things I've
                          ever done.

                        • uncleralph123
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 12, 2009
                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

                            > she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14
                            hours
                            > on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

                            Beautiful job. Do you have an update on its performance?

                            Ralph
                          • huttbldr@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 12, 2009
                              She handles better than I thought she would. Wen't thru 2 foot wake like a
                              hot knife thru butter. Having a problem with the motor right now. I was
                              charging the battries when the motor started smokeing. I't melted the oil cap. The
                              motor did'nt seem to overheat. It looks like the cap melted from the inside.

                              In a message dated 2/12/2009 10:31:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                              UncleRalph@... writes:

                              --- In _AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_ (mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com) ,
                              huttbldr@... wrote:

                              > she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14
                              hours
                              > on the motor as I'm still learning how she handles.

                              Beautiful job. Do you have an update on its performance?

                              Ralph

                              now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000002)

                            • huttbldr
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 14, 2015
                                On the job II is for sale. As seen in Wooden Boat magazine May/June 2012 #226. If anybody is interested. She's in excellent condition.