Russell R

  • Jeff Hutter
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
      I sent a bunch of pics of the building process to date. Hope they are
      of some intrest.
      Oh, I'm not very good with computers so I sent the website with the
      pics to John. If this does'nt work please let me know and I will figure
      out some other way.
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
        Thanks for the pictures Jeff! Russell R. is one of my favorite Atkin
        boats, so I'm thrilled to see one being built. Here's a link to pictures
        of Jeff's project -- she looks great so far!

        http://tinyurl.com/l2gae

        Please tell us some more about the construction details; plywood
        thickness, framing, etc. What do you plan to use for power?

        On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:43:18 -0700, Jeff Hutter wrote:

        > I sent a bunch of pics of the building process to date. Hope they are
        > of some intrest.
        > Oh, I'm not very good with computers so I sent the website with the
        > pics to John. If this does'nt work please let me know and I will figure
        > out some other way.

        I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the
        better for it. <Abraham Lincoln>
      • Mike Dolph
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
          I feel I missed the boat since this was the design I had hoped to
          build in Brazil. Well, I still have the plans as no one from the
          NGO I tried to donate them to ever showed up to get them. Maybe
          someday I'll build it in plywood with your pictures and advice to
          help me. I'm sure this will look better in WoodenBoat Magazine's
          launchings section that the rough job I had planned to do with local
          timber.

          What sort of cabin, if any, are you planning? Are all those frames
          staying in the boat? I had intended to make a "bird watcher" cabin
          with plexiglass sides if possible. It may be too late to help but I
          can pass on a tip I had from one of our members in Nicaragua: make
          sure you have enough width in the motor well to incline the outboard
          of your choice when it is turned hard over. The safety reason being
          that it might otherwise chew up the well in reverse or running
          aground. I had planned to use a Yamaha 15 HP two cycle because of
          it's ready availability and service network in Brazil, you of course
          have many more choices.

          I spent so much time dreaming over those plans! Thanks from me
          personally for sharing with us.

          John Dolph

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...>

        • huttbldr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
            Hey John,
            The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one at a
            time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I plan
            on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the sides
            and bottom.
            To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project so far
            and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

            Later Jeff

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 16, 2006
              I figured those were just molds, but those fancy gussets you used almost
              fooled me. <g> I guess you're going to go with the frameless bottom as per
              the plans. I see you laid the bottom plywood crosswise, just like I would
              have. What thickness ply did you use?

              I hope you're going to make the cuddy light and low, something like Little
              Effort's. I think the canvas top, as drawn, is a better setup, since the
              headroom won't be as cramped.

              That Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury engine seems like a good one. The Tohatsu 15
              is just a detuned 18, so I can see why you were tempted to go for the
              extra power at the same weight. That'll be 50% more power than the plans
              call for, but using extra power to compensate for an overweight boat is a
              Bad Idea -- that's what a lot of the modern motorboat manufacturers do!
              Along with using horsepower to compensate for poor design... Too bad lots
              of horsepower can't compensate for the looks! <g> So try to keep your boat
              light!

              I don't see where Russell R. would fit into my fleet right now. But I'm
              trying to work up enough gumption to start a Sprite. I've got some
              engines, new and old, that'd be just right for Sprite, but are too big for
              any of the boats I've got now...

              On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:52:33 -0700, Jeff wrote:

              > Hey John,
              > The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one
              > at a
              > time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I
              > plan
              > on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the
              > sides
              > and bottom.
              > To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project
              > so far
              > and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

              It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
              word! <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
            • Jeff Hutter
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 5, 2008
                You can see the photos under "On The Job II"
              • F. Neil Simms
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
                  Stunning! Can you give us a report on how you powered her, and
                  performance achieved, especially max speed, cruise speed, and fuel
                  consumption?

                  Congrats!

                  Neil S.
                • huttbldr@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
                    she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14 hours
                    on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

                  • adharvey2
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
                      Great job, Jeff! It's great to see those really unique designs come to
                      life in pictures, and especially helpful to those contemplating
                      similar designs. Now I have a better idea of how "Little Effort" might
                      look in 3D.

                      I love all the bright work you put on her - especially the foredeck.

                      Andrew Harvey

                      -- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                      > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                    • waltbald
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 9, 2008
                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                        > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                        Fabulous boat! Of course now people are going to take you for some old
                        money type. They'll be trying to remember you from Yale and wanting
                        you to pitch in a few mil for their margin call and asking you where
                        to put what's left of their money.

                        have fun,

                        Walter Owens
                      • David
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
                          Damfine Job.

                          Cheers,
                          David G

                          *************

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
                            Thank you, building her has been one of the most fascinating things I've
                            ever done.

                          • uncleralph123
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 12, 2009
                              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

                              > she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14
                              hours
                              > on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

                              Beautiful job. Do you have an update on its performance?

                              Ralph
                            • huttbldr@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 12, 2009
                                She handles better than I thought she would. Wen't thru 2 foot wake like a
                                hot knife thru butter. Having a problem with the motor right now. I was
                                charging the battries when the motor started smokeing. I't melted the oil cap. The
                                motor did'nt seem to overheat. It looks like the cap melted from the inside.

                                In a message dated 2/12/2009 10:31:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                UncleRalph@... writes:

                                --- In _AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_ (mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com) ,

                                now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000002)