Re: plywood Rocking Chair

  • alan terry
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 12, 2004

      I think if I was
      > building one of the houseboats, and it was going to live in the
      water, I'd
      > do it plank on frame. I like working with wood better than metal,
      and the
      > relatively thick wooden planking is a good insulator.

      Coincidently I have returned to favouring wood construction ---
      after several days of infatuation with the idea of building in
      aluminum. I discovered that, broadly speaking, the cost of materials
      alone are similar for aluminum and for HIGH QUALITY timber plus
      epoxy glassing.
      For aluminum I would have to hire skilled labour, but not for
      timber. And of course, I can make do with less than high quality
      timber. Taking these factors into account the cost of timber is
      about one half that of aluminum. More important, using aluminum
      would have encouraged me to get more fancy and fussy than I want.
      The original idea was to have a simple boat built to a workboat
      standard, that could be finished in months, not years.
      The construction I now have firmly in mind is epoxy glued plank
      (18mm) on frame covered with a layer of plywood and then epoxy
      glassed. From the inside the appearance would be like cold moulded
      plank on frame (better resale value, better looking, etc.), but the
      outside would have all the benefits of glass sheathing.
      And I like working with wood best as well :)

      Alan