Re: Naiad

  • susquehannahutch
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
      You don't have to give the dream up Leo. Earlier Lon suggested you
      pick up any one of the Motor Boating Ideal Series volumes 18,40,46.
      The Ideal Series books are great; libraries may still have them, and I
      see them occasionally at used bookstores in small port cities; but
      online is your best bet.
      Each of these have MANY (~25) Atkins reduced size plans in them and
      maybe more importantly have THOUSANDS of words written by Bill
      concerning those designs. The tables of OFFSETS ARE in these books.
      If you going to build a model anyway, build it from the offsets in the
      book, lofting to the size of the model (i.e. full size of the model).
      The process of lofting corrects, i.e. CHANGES the offsets(!), and Bill
      said you should expect that! The books are compilations from the
      MotorBoating magazines, and those articles allowed countless people to
      build the boats. Yes, the larger scale plans would have been a help,
      but the book versions are USEABLE.
      (OK so you have to use your head more, but Bill said that was
      necessary to build any of his boats anyway.)

      Alternatively you could peruse the Cruisers in the Atkin Co site;
      maybe Captain Frank (28') or Snapdragon(32'?) would suit your needs.
      These aren't seabrights but they are GREAT boats. And there are
      others that may work for you. Smaller: Jersey Blue(25'),
      Spermaceti(28'), both seabrights, and proportionally lighter (~7000#)
      than Naiad (10000#+). Lots of possibilities, lots of dreams, so
      little time.
      hutch

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Leo" <leochill@...> wrote:

      > Well, I have given up hope :-( Pat is sending my check back. Sorta
      > strange that the local Kinko's couldn't scan and print another set
      > from a master. But who am I to say anything? Just a disappointed
      > wannabe boat builder.
      >

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Don't give up hope Leo. I think Pat might be able to dig up the full
      > size
      > > plans -- according to my records we sold a set last December.
      They're
      > > probably just misplaced instead of lost forever.
      > >
      > > Your ideas for modifying Naiad seem well thought out shouldn't
      > adversely
      > > affect her performance. But keep thinks light! Using canvas to
      enclose
      > > your extended wheelhouse might be a good idea, unless you live in
      > > Greenland. <g>
      > >
      > > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:52:47 -0700, Leo wrote:
      > >
      > > > Got an email from Pat today - No plans for Naiad available - only
      > > > study plans. :-(
      > >
      > > --
      > > John <jkohnen@>
      > > I must say I find television very educational. The minute
      > > somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
      > > <Groucho Marx>

    • lon wells
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
        My first choice is buying from Mrs Atkin. But since
        they are not available,here they are for $28.50. I
        use Abebooks.com for my search engine.

        A Treasury of Inboard Cruiser Designs
        Chapman, Charles F. Ed
        Bookseller: Samuel Lasenby Bookseller
        (Corona del Mar, CA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 25.00
        [Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
        US$ 3.50
        [Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

        Book Description: Motor Boating, New York, 1958.
        Cloth. Book Condition: Very Good. No Jacket. First
        Edition. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. Blue/black
        boards.[4]+5-224p,illus,fold-outs.Interior near
        fine.Three Fold-outs fine. Small owners stamp on
        paste-down. Bookseller Inventory # 2145
        Lon

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Leo
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
          All - Thanks so much for all your help.

          The $25.00 book must have went to someone else that was able to read
          Lon's message before I got to it. I had to pay $45. Boo-hoo! ;-)

          But it's on the way.

          Thanks once again to all that researched/offered and wrote about it.

          Leo