Barrie & Lady Joan

  • Chris Kottaridis
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 22, 2006
      Barrie is a round hull version of Lady Joan's V bottom hull. Barrie also
      has a sloop rig compared to Lady Joan's yawl rig. The write up on the
      web site for Barrie says you could put Lady Joan's yawl rig on Barrie.

      Do you suppose if a person wanted to do that he'd need to buy both sets
      of plans ?

      There's no mention if Barrie's plans come with Lady Joan's yawl rig
      specs on it. Anyone happen to know if the yawl rig plans are available
      in Barrie's plan set ?

      Thanks

      Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)
    • boatmath32
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 28, 2006
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...>
        wrote:

        > Barrie is a round hull version of Lady Joan's V bottom hull. Barrie
        > also has a sloop rig compared to Lady Joan's yawl rig. The write
        > up on the web site for Barrie says you could put Lady Joan's yawl
        > rig on Barrie.
        >
        > Do you suppose if a person wanted to do that he'd need to buy both
        > setsof plans ?

        [ snip ]

        > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)

        Get the full set for Barrie, and the study set for Lady Joan. I
        think that all the info on the rig would be on the study set.

        The site also cautions against trying the sloop rig on Lady Joan.

        Regards,

        - Ed R
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
          If you tell Mrs. Atkin what you're up to she could send you the Lady Joan
          sail plan drawing instead of the Barrie one, or send you both sail plans
          for a modest extra fee for the extra drawing. Email her and make
          arrangements before placing your order.

          On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 22:30:03 -0700, Chris K wrote:

          > Barrie is a round hull version of Lady Joan's V bottom hull. Barrie also
          > has a sloop rig compared to Lady Joan's yawl rig. The write up on the
          > web site for Barrie says you could put Lady Joan's yawl rig on Barrie.
          >
          > Do you suppose if a person wanted to do that he'd need to buy both sets
          > of plans ?

          "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
          "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the
          truth. <Alfred North Whitehead>
        • Chris Kottaridis
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2006
            Thanks. She very graciously did offer the Lady Joan sail plan with the
            purchase of the plans for Barrie.

            Before I commit though, I have to ask about Jabberwock. If it had a yawl
            rig, it would probably be a better answer for me as I do want to be able
            to trailer my boat from reservoir to reservoir a couple of times a year.
            I've convinced myself I could do that here with Barrie. Since it's under
            5000 lbs and I think I can get 3' 6" of draft in the reservoirs that I
            have gone and checked on.

            But, in general how does one go about getting a rig change for Atkin
            designs ? I certainly am not up to the task. Is there a qualified person
            that is familiar with these designs to make these kinds of significant
            changes ?

            Thanks

            Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)