Re: New Group Hello

  • arbordg
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
      > John is right about traditional carvel-planked boats, but lapstrake
      boats
      > and batten-seam planked boats can handle trailering pretty well.

      John,
      OK, I know all the terms/methods except "batten-seam". Can you describe?
      Perhaps I would know by another name? On another topic - are you
      currently in construction mode? If I remember correctly, you own
      "Pickle", a design I much admired which did not fit the cartopping
      criterion. Anything else in the works...perhaps an Atkin design?

      Happy New Year,
      David Graybeal
      Portland, OR.

      "An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a
      beer" -- Confucius
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
        In batten-seam construction each seam in the planking is backed up by a
        batten. IIRC, it was developed by one of the New England whaleboat builders,
        to give a light, strong hull that'd stay tight out of the water, like
        lapstrake planking, but with a smooth skin that wouldn't scare the whales.
        In later years it became common in light, fast motorboats. A picture is
        worth a thousand words, as they say:

        I suppose there will be an Atkin boat in my future, but the current project
        is a Jim Michalak design, a Scram Pram.

        Cartopping is a PITA unless the boat is _very_ light and handy. You'll soon
        be thinking about a trailer for your Goat Island Skiff. <g> They're really
        less trouble.

        On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:20:27 -0000, David G wrote:
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, jkohnen@b... wrote:
        > > John is right about traditional carvel-planked boats, but lapstrake
        > boats
        > > and batten-seam planked boats can handle trailering pretty well.
        >
        > John,
        > OK, I know all the terms/methods except "batten-seam". Can you describe?
        > Perhaps I would know by another name? On another topic - are you
        > currently in construction mode? If I remember correctly, you own
        > "Pickle", a design I much admired which did not fit the cartopping
        > criterion. Anything else in the works...perhaps an Atkin design?

        One cat just leads to another.
        <Ernest Hemingway>