plank hulls

  • woodcraftssuch
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11 3:32 PM
      If a guy was to build a hull like the Rocking Chair with planks of
      wood,what would be a reasonable grade of wood to use as far as knots
      or imperfections? On a scale of kiln dried to green what would be
      best? If a guys' only access to the forest is the Home Despot,could
      he pick thru the piles of yellow pine 1 or 2xstuff and build a boat
      with a reasonable life expectancy?
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13 11:50 AM
        It'd be foolish to build a boat like Rocking Chair with lumber from Home
        Despot. You'll need a truckfull of lumber, so go to a lumber yard where the
        homebuilders buy their lumber. Anywhere big enough to support a Despot will
        have at least one wholesale lumber yard servicing the building trades.
        They'll give you a better price, deliver the wood (probably for free), and
        you'll get to talk to people who know at least a little about wood and its
        grades, though they probably won't know beans about boatbuilding.

        I've found that most counter people in the outfits, of all sorts, catering
        to business customers are quite helpful when you walk in and tell them about
        an interesting project. It brightens up their day. Most of their business is
        just the same old thing over and over again with minor variations, so they
        welcome the chance to think about something different. If you've got
        pictures (or plans) to show them it's even better. I made lots of counter
        people happy when I was building a giant automated willy several years ago!
        <g>

        http://www.boat-links.com/dildozer.html

        (don't look if you lack a sense of humor)

        The wood you want for a boat like Rocking Chair would have small, tight
        knots, and no splits or warping. I'm afraid I don't know anything about
        lumber grades (that's why you buy from people who do). Quarter sawn
        (vertical grain) would be nice, but not necessary. Use the planks with the
        most vertical grain on the topsides, since they will shrink and swell less
        in width with variations in moisture. To get the best wood, buy bigger
        dimensions, even if that means resawing later. The bigger stuff comes from
        bigger trees. They make 2x4s out of toothpicks anymore, I've seen lots of
        them showing the round of the outside of the tree on two edges! Heartwood
        lasts better than sapwood, but you'll have trouble finding it these days...

        On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 23:32:03 -0000, woodcraftssuch wrote:

        > If a guy was to build a hull like the Rocking Chair with planks of
        > wood,what would be a reasonable grade of wood to use as far as knots
        > or imperfections? On a scale of kiln dried to green what would be
        > best? If a guys' only access to the forest is the Home Despot,could
        > he pick thru the piles of yellow pine 1 or 2xstuff and build a boat
        > with a reasonable life expectancy?

        The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of
        older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the blood.
        <Logan Pearsall Smith>
      • alan terry
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13 1:27 PM
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "woodcraftssuch"
          <woodcraftssuch@y...> wrote:

          > If a guy was to build a hull like the Rocking Chair with planks of
          > wood,what would be a reasonable grade of wood to use as far as
          knots
          > or imperfections?

          Where I am the vast majority of timber is sold for
          home/farm/horticultural use. Only a small amount is sold as
          dry "clears" at timber merchants at premium prices. Since there is a
          lot of good timber around and most of the demand is for construction
          grades this means that clears can often be found graded as No1
          framing, at about one third the price of dry merchant clears. I plan
          to select my timber this way, then have it dehumidified and machined
          to size. The cost should be about one half, all up.

          Alan