Re: [AtkinBoats] Naiad

  • lon wells
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 20, 2006
      That is to bad that she does not have a full size
      copy, it is always best to buy the full size from
      Atkin & C0.

      The Naiad plans were published by Atkin in the Motor
      Boating Magazine. They were also published in The
      Motor Boating Ideal Series voume 18,40,46. These are
      a reduced size plans but the boat could be built from
      these plans.

      ABE Books http://www.abebooks.com/ has volume 40
      through Easton's Books, Inc.

      PROFESSIONAL DESIGNS FOR AMATEUR BOATBUILDERS. (VOLUME
      40 MOTOR BOATING'S IDEAL SERIES)
      Chapman, Charles F. and F. W. Horenburger
      Bookseller: Easton's Books, Inc.
      (Mount Vernon, WA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 40.00
      [Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
      US$ 4.00
      [Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

      Book Description: New York, NY Motor Boating., 1955.
      VG+/NONE; Hardback in Very Good+ condition, without
      dust jacket. 4to 11" to 13" tall; 204 pages. Binding
      is Hardback. Bookseller Inventory # 23435

      Good Luck
      Lon

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
        Don't give up hope Leo. I think Pat might be able to dig up the full size
        plans -- according to my records we sold a set last December. They're
        probably just misplaced instead of lost forever.

        Your ideas for modifying Naiad seem well thought out shouldn't adversely
        affect her performance. But keep thinks light! Using canvas to enclose
        your extended wheelhouse might be a good idea, unless you live in
        Greenland. <g>

        On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:52:47 -0700, Leo wrote:

        > Got an email from Pat today - No plans for Naiad available - only
        > study plans. :-(

        I must say I find television very educational. The minute
        somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
        <Groucho Marx>
      • Leo
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
          Well, I have given up hope :-( Pat is sending my check back. Sorta
          strange that the local Kinko's couldn't scan and print another set
          from a master. But who am I to say anything? Just a disappointed
          wannabe boat builder.

          > Don't give up hope Leo. I think Pat might be able to dig up the full
          size
          > plans -- according to my records we sold a set last December. They're
          > probably just misplaced instead of lost forever.
          >
          > Your ideas for modifying Naiad seem well thought out shouldn't
          adversely
          > affect her performance. But keep thinks light! Using canvas to enclose
          > your extended wheelhouse might be a good idea, unless you live in
          > Greenland. <g>
          >
          > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:52:47 -0700, Leo wrote:
          >
          > > Got an email from Pat today - No plans for Naiad available - only
          > > study plans. :-(
          >
          > --
          > John <jkohnen@...>
          > I must say I find television very educational. The minute
          > somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
          > <Groucho Marx>

        • susquehannahutch
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
            You don't have to give the dream up Leo. Earlier Lon suggested you
            pick up any one of the Motor Boating Ideal Series volumes 18,40,46.
            The Ideal Series books are great; libraries may still have them, and I
            see them occasionally at used bookstores in small port cities; but
            online is your best bet.
            Each of these have MANY (~25) Atkins reduced size plans in them and
            maybe more importantly have THOUSANDS of words written by Bill
            concerning those designs. The tables of OFFSETS ARE in these books.
            If you going to build a model anyway, build it from the offsets in the
            book, lofting to the size of the model (i.e. full size of the model).
            The process of lofting corrects, i.e. CHANGES the offsets(!), and Bill
            said you should expect that! The books are compilations from the
            MotorBoating magazines, and those articles allowed countless people to
            build the boats. Yes, the larger scale plans would have been a help,
            but the book versions are USEABLE.
            (OK so you have to use your head more, but Bill said that was
            necessary to build any of his boats anyway.)

            Alternatively you could peruse the Cruisers in the Atkin Co site;
            maybe Captain Frank (28') or Snapdragon(32'?) would suit your needs.
            These aren't seabrights but they are GREAT boats. And there are
            others that may work for you. Smaller: Jersey Blue(25'),
            Spermaceti(28'), both seabrights, and proportionally lighter (~7000#)
            than Naiad (10000#+). Lots of possibilities, lots of dreams, so
            little time.
            hutch

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Leo" <leochill@...> wrote:

            > Well, I have given up hope :-( Pat is sending my check back. Sorta
            > strange that the local Kinko's couldn't scan and print another set
            > from a master. But who am I to say anything? Just a disappointed
            > wannabe boat builder.
            >

            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Don't give up hope Leo. I think Pat might be able to dig up the full
            > size
            > > plans -- according to my records we sold a set last December.
            They're
            > > probably just misplaced instead of lost forever.
            > >
            > > Your ideas for modifying Naiad seem well thought out shouldn't
            > adversely
            > > affect her performance. But keep thinks light! Using canvas to
            enclose
            > > your extended wheelhouse might be a good idea, unless you live in
            > > Greenland. <g>
            > >
            > > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:52:47 -0700, Leo wrote:
            > >
            > > > Got an email from Pat today - No plans for Naiad available - only
            > > > study plans. :-(
            > >
            > > --
            > > John <jkohnen@>
            > > I must say I find television very educational. The minute
            > > somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
            > > <Groucho Marx>

          • lon wells
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
              My first choice is buying from Mrs Atkin. But since
              they are not available,here they are for $28.50. I
              use Abebooks.com for my search engine.

              A Treasury of Inboard Cruiser Designs
              Chapman, Charles F. Ed
              Bookseller: Samuel Lasenby Bookseller
              (Corona del Mar, CA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 25.00
              [Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
              US$ 3.50
              [Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

              Book Description: Motor Boating, New York, 1958.
              Cloth. Book Condition: Very Good. No Jacket. First
              Edition. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. Blue/black
              boards.[4]+5-224p,illus,fold-outs.Interior near
              fine.Three Fold-outs fine. Small owners stamp on
              paste-down. Bookseller Inventory # 2145
              Lon

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Leo
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
                All - Thanks so much for all your help.

                The $25.00 book must have went to someone else that was able to read
                Lon's message before I got to it. I had to pay $45. Boo-hoo! ;-)

                But it's on the way.

                Thanks once again to all that researched/offered and wrote about it.

                Leo