Naiad

  • Leo
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 20, 2006
      Got an email from Pat today - No plans for Naiad available - only
      study plans. :-(

      Leo
    • lon wells
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 20, 2006
        That is to bad that she does not have a full size
        copy, it is always best to buy the full size from
        Atkin & C0.

        The Naiad plans were published by Atkin in the Motor
        Boating Magazine. They were also published in The
        Motor Boating Ideal Series voume 18,40,46. These are
        a reduced size plans but the boat could be built from
        these plans.

        ABE Books http://www.abebooks.com/ has volume 40
        through Easton's Books, Inc.

        PROFESSIONAL DESIGNS FOR AMATEUR BOATBUILDERS. (VOLUME
        40 MOTOR BOATING'S IDEAL SERIES)
        Chapman, Charles F. and F. W. Horenburger
        Bookseller: Easton's Books, Inc.
        (Mount Vernon, WA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 40.00
        [Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
        US$ 4.00
        [Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

        Book Description: New York, NY Motor Boating., 1955.
        VG+/NONE; Hardback in Very Good+ condition, without
        dust jacket. 4to 11" to 13" tall; 204 pages. Binding
        is Hardback. Bookseller Inventory # 23435

        Good Luck
        Lon

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
          Don't give up hope Leo. I think Pat might be able to dig up the full size
          plans -- according to my records we sold a set last December. They're
          probably just misplaced instead of lost forever.

          Your ideas for modifying Naiad seem well thought out shouldn't adversely
          affect her performance. But keep thinks light! Using canvas to enclose
          your extended wheelhouse might be a good idea, unless you live in
          Greenland. <g>

          On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:52:47 -0700, Leo wrote:

          > Got an email from Pat today - No plans for Naiad available - only
          > study plans. :-(

          I must say I find television very educational. The minute
          somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
          <Groucho Marx>
        • Leo
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
            Well, I have given up hope :-( Pat is sending my check back. Sorta
            strange that the local Kinko's couldn't scan and print another set
            from a master. But who am I to say anything? Just a disappointed
            wannabe boat builder.

            > Don't give up hope Leo. I think Pat might be able to dig up the full
            size
            > plans -- according to my records we sold a set last December. They're
            > probably just misplaced instead of lost forever.
            >
            > Your ideas for modifying Naiad seem well thought out shouldn't
            adversely
            > affect her performance. But keep thinks light! Using canvas to enclose
            > your extended wheelhouse might be a good idea, unless you live in
            > Greenland. <g>
            >
            > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:52:47 -0700, Leo wrote:
            >
            > > Got an email from Pat today - No plans for Naiad available - only
            > > study plans. :-(
            >
            > --
            > John <jkohnen@...>
            > I must say I find television very educational. The minute
            > somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
            > <Groucho Marx>

          • susquehannahutch
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2006
              You don't have to give the dream up Leo. Earlier Lon suggested you
              pick up any one of the Motor Boating Ideal Series volumes 18,40,46.
              The Ideal Series books are great; libraries may still have them, and I
              see them occasionally at used bookstores in small port cities; but
              online is your best bet.
              Each of these have MANY (~25) Atkins reduced size plans in them and
              maybe more importantly have THOUSANDS of words written by Bill
              concerning those designs. The tables of OFFSETS ARE in these books.
              If you going to build a model anyway, build it from the offsets in the
              book, lofting to the size of the model (i.e. full size of the model).
              The process of lofting corrects, i.e. CHANGES the offsets(!), and Bill
              said you should expect that! The books are compilations from the
              MotorBoating magazines, and those articles allowed countless people to
              build the boats. Yes, the larger scale plans would have been a help,
              but the book versions are USEABLE.
              (OK so you have to use your head more, but Bill said that was
              necessary to build any of his boats anyway.)

              Alternatively you could peruse the Cruisers in the Atkin Co site;
              maybe Captain Frank (28') or Snapdragon(32'?) would suit your needs.
              These aren't seabrights but they are GREAT boats. And there are
              others that may work for you. Smaller: Jersey Blue(25'),
              Spermaceti(28'), both seabrights, and proportionally lighter (~7000#)
              than Naiad (10000#+). Lots of possibilities, lots of dreams, so
              little time.
              hutch

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Leo" <leochill@...> wrote:

              > Well, I have given up hope :-( Pat is sending my check back. Sorta
              > strange that the local Kinko's couldn't scan and print another set
              > from a master. But who am I to say anything? Just a disappointed
              > wannabe boat builder.
              >

              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Don't give up hope Leo. I think Pat might be able to dig up the full
              > size
              > > plans -- according to my records we sold a set last December.
              They're
              > > probably just misplaced instead of lost forever.
              > >
              > > Your ideas for modifying Naiad seem well thought out shouldn't
              > adversely
              > > affect her performance. But keep thinks light! Using canvas to
              enclose
              > > your extended wheelhouse might be a good idea, unless you live in
              > > Greenland. <g>
              > >
              > > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:52:47 -0700, Leo wrote:
              > >
              > > > Got an email from Pat today - No plans for Naiad available - only
              > > > study plans. :-(
              > >
              > > --
              > > John <jkohnen@>
              > > I must say I find television very educational. The minute
              > > somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
              > > <Groucho Marx>

            • lon wells
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
                My first choice is buying from Mrs Atkin. But since
                they are not available,here they are for $28.50. I
                use Abebooks.com for my search engine.

                A Treasury of Inboard Cruiser Designs
                Chapman, Charles F. Ed
                Bookseller: Samuel Lasenby Bookseller
                (Corona del Mar, CA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 25.00
                [Convert Currency] Shipping within U.S.A.:
                US$ 3.50
                [Rates & Speeds] Add Book to Shopping Basket

                Book Description: Motor Boating, New York, 1958.
                Cloth. Book Condition: Very Good. No Jacket. First
                Edition. 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. Blue/black
                boards.[4]+5-224p,illus,fold-outs.Interior near
                fine.Three Fold-outs fine. Small owners stamp on
                paste-down. Bookseller Inventory # 2145
                Lon

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Leo
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 5, 2006
                  All - Thanks so much for all your help.

                  The $25.00 book must have went to someone else that was able to read
                  Lon's message before I got to it. I had to pay $45. Boo-hoo! ;-)

                  But it's on the way.

                  Thanks once again to all that researched/offered and wrote about it.

                  Leo