LOOKING FOR TRENDAWAY

  • renne2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16 8:20 PM
      I'm looking for a boat I used to own in Sausalito, CA in the
      early '70s. She ia a 36' Atkin design ketch named Trendaway - LOA
      about 42'. I don't believe the name would have been changed because
      it was carved into the transom (but of course, anything is possible).
      She is built from mahogany over oak frames in approx 1942, 12 tons
      and was also documented with the number carved into an overhead
      support in the main salon.

      She had an unfortunate accident where she broke away from a mooring
      behind Ondine's and actually ran into the Spinaker restaurant in
      Sausalito - cracked a few frames and broke her mizzen in half. I sold
      her the following year to someone from Antioch, CA whose name I can't
      remember.

      This was not her first accident. She had a much more serious one in
      Roatonga where her port side sustained damage when she caught up on
      Black Rock. There was quite a story in getting her off, but that was
      before we met...

      The web site picture URL- she is all the way at the bottom of the
      page. http://www.thedivecentre-rarotonga.com/divesites.html

      I would appreciate it if anyone has any information regarding her
      whereabouts in CA (probably).

      Thanks,

      Diane St James
    • derbyrm
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17 9:30 AM
        Doesn't the USCG maintain a database of documented vessels showing current owners?

        Roger
        derbyrm@...
        http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17 12:17 PM
          Yes. But I checked it and didn't find any Trendaways.

          http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html

          On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:30:31 -0700, Roger wrote:

          > Doesn't the USCG maintain a database of documented vessels showing
          > current owners?

          The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you
          can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying
          virtues. <Elizabeth Taylor>
        • renne2001
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 17 8:32 PM
            Yes, I checked also about 2 years ago and didn't find anything. I also
            emailed and called the harbormaster in Antioch, but got no reply. I've
            been gone from CA so long I no longer know anybody there who might
            know. The man I sold her to had a last name that reminded me of a bread
            manufacturer, i.e. Langendorf. Sounds crazy, but that's what I
            remember. I'm going to post to the Wooden Boat magazine also - maybe
            somebody will remember. We used to be docked just down from Wander
            Bird, a famous 85 ft pilot schooner, in the main basin in Sausalito. I
            suppose someone could change her name - not the most romantic name, but
            it's supposed to be from a poem by Samuel Coleridge, but I've never
            found it.