Re: Modernizing Naiad

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
      Leo,

      Well, you asked! <grin> I seem to prefer a port side helm. Maybe it's
      because I'm right handed and it's easier to reach and grab things (a
      hot sandwich passed from the galley) with my right hand. Assuming a
      three or four cyl diesel instead of the flathead six, the cabin/PH
      bulkhead might be moved back 12-14 inches and still have access room
      at the front. Also, these modern diesels are much taller than the
      specified six so I would leave room for a step in front of the engine
      box. I think you will be surprised at the height required above the PH
      sole to the top of the engine cover.

      Regarding berths, the text does say 5'4", but I think he is referring
      to the lockers under the berths. I scaled the berths at 6'4" (metric
      scale on my curved monitor face, not the best accuracy). Since I feel
      Naiad is rather thin just above the waterline, I would leave the foot
      position of the port side berth as shown and lengthen the head
      position to get the length you need. This should still allow you to
      lengthen the galley slightly. For the starboard side berth, I would
      move the whole berth forward maybe 12" and lengthen/widen the foot
      area into the space vacated by moving the head aft. I would place the
      head starboard side forward of the bulkhead with a door opening into
      the middle (walking area) of the cabin. You might be able to design an
      access door to pass wet oilskins into a "wet locker" in the head area
      from the PH.

      As far as arranging the enclosed pilothouse, I will leave that up to
      you. I live in a tropical climate and would want it wide open with
      zippered side and aft covers. You have different requirements in your
      climate and you know best what you need.

      It's funny; I have grown to like this Naiad design. The only negative
      is the 2,000 pound ballast mentioned. Weight equals HP and fuel costs.

      I look forward to your posting construction photos soon.

      Lewis