Re: Modernizing Naiad

  • Leo
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 12, 2006
      All,

      In the files section is a scaled PDF of my desire interior changes to
      Naiad.

      Dimensions are in millimeters.

      According to my conversion program, the length of 8560mm is ~.008"
      (yes, that's 8/1000ths) from the 28' 1" quoted dimension and the beam
      of 2642mm is ~.016 (16/1000ths) from the 8' 8" quoted dimension. –
      Closer than I can see with my rummy eyes in my doddering old age! ;-)

      Translated to feet/inches:

      ~7' 4" from the transom to the aft PH bulkhead.
      ~6' 3" cockpit length.
      Tanks and storage under cockpit sole.

      ~7' 7" Pilothouse length – Admiral's seat converts to dinette seating.
      Dinette converts to guest bed, albeit cramped.
      Head is ~44" long – enough to sit and then stand up and fasten your pants.

      Engine is under the PH sole, along with other equipment.

      ~6' 6" Galley and Storage area – drawers and hanging lockers.
      House batteries under galley sole.
      Tanks under galley and storage modules.

      ~75" straight line measurement for the 2 vee berths - slightly longer
      on the angle.
      Tanks and storage under with a large overhead hatch for easy access to
      anchor deck.

      ~30" for the anchor deck and chain locker.

      So as you can see from the PDF, there is not really a great deal of
      difference between the original Naiad and my modernized version. The
      major dimension difference is enclosing the PH and its length. Well,
      that and where the amenities are located.

      After I'm in possession of the plans, it will take a bit of time to
      get the offsets into AutoCAD and (true to the millimeter) arrangement
      drawings made up. When (if) I get that done, I'll post another
      general PDF to show what actually transpired versus what the day-dream
      was.

      Best,

      Leo
    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 12, 2006
        Leo,

        Nice drawing, not the way I would have arranged things, but the
        changes look good. I have one concern from just studying the online
        drawings. Will you have enough width in the "feet" area on the
        V-berths without making them too high above the waterline? Naiad is
        rather "thin" in that area and I am not sure you can get the width you
        show in the drawing if you keep the berths the same stock height.

        When you get the plans and start lofting, either on the floor or on
        the computer, this question will be answered very quickly. Thanks for
        sharing the drawing with us and good luck.

        Lewis

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Leo" <leochill@...> wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > In the files section is a scaled PDF of my desire interior changes to
        > Naiad.

        > Dimensions are in millimeters.
        >
        > According to my conversion program, the length of 8560mm is ~.008"
        > (yes, that's 8/1000ths) from the 28' 1" quoted dimension and the beam
        > of 2642mm is ~.016 (16/1000ths) from the 8' 8" quoted dimension. –
        > Closer than I can see with my rummy eyes in my doddering old age! ;-)
        >
        > Translated to feet/inches:
        >
        > ~7' 4" from the transom to the aft PH bulkhead.
        > ~6' 3" cockpit length.
        > Tanks and storage under cockpit sole.
        >
        > ~7' 7" Pilothouse length – Admiral's seat converts to dinette seating.
        > Dinette converts to guest bed, albeit cramped.
        > Head is ~44" long – enough to sit and then stand up and fasten your
        pants.

        > Engine is under the PH sole, along with other equipment.
        >
        > ~6' 6" Galley and Storage area – drawers and hanging lockers.
        > House batteries under galley sole.
        > Tanks under galley and storage modules.
        >
        > ~75" straight line measurement for the 2 vee berths - slightly longer
        > on the angle.
        > Tanks and storage under with a large overhead hatch for easy access to
        > anchor deck.
        >
        > ~30" for the anchor deck and chain locker.
        >
        > So as you can see from the PDF, there is not really a great deal of
        > difference between the original Naiad and my modernized version. The
        > major dimension difference is enclosing the PH and its length. Well,
        > that and where the amenities are located.
        >
        > After I'm in possession of the plans, it will take a bit of time to
        > get the offsets into AutoCAD and (true to the millimeter) arrangement
        > drawings made up. When (if) I get that done, I'll post another
        > general PDF to show what actually transpired versus what the day-dream
        > was.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Leo

      • Leo
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 12, 2006
          Lewis,

          Excellent point and my guess is probably not. But the point of the
          drawing was to show that it >>might<< be possible, not that it will.

          One point on the head being aft... Rainy day and ya come in out of
          the wet, shake off the worst under the PH overhand, take off the
          foulies and hang them to drip dry in the head. No tracking wet boots
          and clothes forward into the dryer areas of the boat.

          And I'm open to suggestions - what would have been your preference for
          layout?

          Leo

          <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

          > Leo,
          >
          > Nice drawing, not the way I would have arranged things, but the
          > changes look good. I have one concern from just studying the online
          > drawings. Will you have enough width in the "feet" area on the
          > V-berths without making them too high above the waterline? Naiad is
          > rather "thin" in that area and I am not sure you can get the width >
          you show in the drawing if you keep the berths the same stock height.

          > When you get the plans and start lofting, either on the floor or on
          > the computer, this question will be answered very quickly. Thanks for
          > sharing the drawing with us and good luck.
          >
          > Lewis
        • John Hutchings
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 12, 2006
            Hi Leo,
            Lewis is right - your relocation of the births forward were subject to
            a classic optical illusion: we think we have the outside perimeter
            of the entire boat plan, but there is so much flair up front that we
            in effect end up with our feet outside the hull. The births are
            just above the water line and the boat is much narrower down there.
            Also, the plans say the births are 6'5"; you say you have now
            made them 6'3". And as I recall you are 6'2". Seems too close.

            The original head is 44" "long" and you can reach out to brace
            yourself on the hull on either side in bad weather.

            By all means, go ahead and stretch and enclose the pilot house,
            but the births really are fairly well placed in the original - just stretch
            them a bit forward.

            And if you really must, move the head topsides - or maybe just
            make a mini mud room (changing room?) as your latest letter indicates.

            Getting back to the original head...
            Raise the false sheer a bit, add a bit more arch to the cabin area,
            wear low boat shoes, and maybe you'll clear the cabin roof to be able
            to use the original placed "facilities" standing up. And Bill did place an
            over"head" hatch over the head for a couple of reasons. :)

            Maybe all your various needs can work with minimal rearrangement to the
            original layout. It's all fun to ponder. Have you considered making a
            scale model?
            regards,
            s-h

[...]

            <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Leo
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
              John,

              At lunch today I scaled the other portion of the lines drawing that is
              on the boat plans web site.

              It did not scale as neatly as the interior did – there were some (IMO)
              major errors – up to 6" - 7" off from the text dimensions in the
              description – so I'll shy away from any hint of a definitive statement.

              But I think that you are correct. The head may have to stay forward
              to make use of that space.

              Additionally, the text in the description says the bunks are 5' 4"
              versus your quoting 6' 4" – you must have a set of plans. I won't
              until Pat gets my check and sends the plan set back to me. Prolly a
              couple weeks or so for the mail to complete the round trip.

              A model? 1/8th scale would seem about right – that's about 42" long –
              and I think it prudent to model an interior to see the proportions and
              layout. Lots can be learned that is not readily apparent to the eye
              when looking at a computer screen or a flat sheet of paper. Well, at
              least to my eye. ;-)

              Additionally, it seems to me to also be a prudent thing to do when the
              hull is done and still empty of furniture to mock-up the furniture in
              cardboard and put it in place to see if it still looks good and will
              function like it was envisioned. Much easier to change cardboard than
              plywood…

              Best,

              Leo

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Hutchings" <hutch@...> wrote:

              > Hi Leo,
              > Lewis is right - your relocation of the births forward were subject to
              > a classic optical illusion: we think we have the outside perimeter
              > of the entire boat plan, but there is so much flair up front that we
              > in effect end up with our feet outside the hull. The births are
              > just above the water line and the boat is much narrower down there.
              > Also, the plans say the births are 6'5"; you say you have now
              > made them 6'3". And as I recall you are 6'2". Seems too close.
              >
              > The original head is 44" "long" and you can reach out to brace
              > yourself on the hull on either side in bad weather.
              >
              > By all means, go ahead and stretch and enclose the pilot house,
              > but the births really are fairly well placed in the original - just
              stretch
              > them a bit forward.
              >
              > And if you really must, move the head topsides - or maybe just
              > make a mini mud room (changing room?) as your latest letter indicates.
              >
              > Getting back to the original head...
              > Raise the false sheer a bit, add a bit more arch to the cabin area,
              > wear low boat shoes, and maybe you'll clear the cabin roof to be able
              > to use the original placed "facilities" standing up. And Bill did
              place an
              > over"head" hatch over the head for a couple of reasons. :)
              >
              > Maybe all your various needs can work with minimal rearrangement to the
              > original layout. It's all fun to ponder. Have you considered making a
              > scale model?
              > regards,
              > s-h
            • Lewis E. Gordon
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
                Leo,

                Well, you asked! <grin> I seem to prefer a port side helm. Maybe it's
                because I'm right handed and it's easier to reach and grab things (a
                hot sandwich passed from the galley) with my right hand. Assuming a
                three or four cyl diesel instead of the flathead six, the cabin/PH
                bulkhead might be moved back 12-14 inches and still have access room
                at the front. Also, these modern diesels are much taller than the
                specified six so I would leave room for a step in front of the engine
                box. I think you will be surprised at the height required above the PH
                sole to the top of the engine cover.

                Regarding berths, the text does say 5'4", but I think he is referring
                to the lockers under the berths. I scaled the berths at 6'4" (metric
                scale on my curved monitor face, not the best accuracy). Since I feel
                Naiad is rather thin just above the waterline, I would leave the foot
                position of the port side berth as shown and lengthen the head
                position to get the length you need. This should still allow you to
                lengthen the galley slightly. For the starboard side berth, I would
                move the whole berth forward maybe 12" and lengthen/widen the foot
                area into the space vacated by moving the head aft. I would place the
                head starboard side forward of the bulkhead with a door opening into
                the middle (walking area) of the cabin. You might be able to design an
                access door to pass wet oilskins into a "wet locker" in the head area
                from the PH.

                As far as arranging the enclosed pilothouse, I will leave that up to
                you. I live in a tropical climate and would want it wide open with
                zippered side and aft covers. You have different requirements in your
                climate and you know best what you need.

                It's funny; I have grown to like this Naiad design. The only negative
                is the 2,000 pound ballast mentioned. Weight equals HP and fuel costs.

                I look forward to your posting construction photos soon.