Pequot wins her section of the "Fun Race"

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2006
      Pequot, a William Atkin Dragon design, reecently won her section of
      Australia's Whitsunday Fun Race. The section was for gaffers. luggers
      and square rigged vessels. The day was unusally for the Whitsunday's
      overcast and cool, but had good strong winds of 23 knots gusting to
      around 28 knots for the day. The Fun Race was open to all types of
      yachts from racing to cruising, monohulls and multihulls. A few boats
      were dismasted in the conditions and a couple were assisted by the
      rescue organisation.
      Pequot, a gaff topsail cutter, revelled in the conditions and from
      being third across the starting line went on to being first across the
      finish line and 8th overall out of about 90 boats. Our average speed
      was about 7 knots with a maximum of 8.3 knots being logged on the GPS.
      Unfortunately half way through the course, the jib was split which
      slowed us down a little. Sails usually last around 10 years in the
      strong UV light in this area and we wouldn't have set the jib if we
      had not have been fun racing. We also set a single reefed main and a
      staysail.
      We won a bottle of rum - which is always welcome.In the photo section
      I have attached 2 photos from the race. What a fantastic design she
      is. She looks beautiful, sails better and has no handling problems,
      being very comfortable in the conditions. Build her, you won't regret
      it.