Re: Rescue Minor Power

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
      Good point, Ron. I forgot about that bit. --Rob

      In the March/April 2006 issue of Wooden Boat, in the article he wrote
      on his adaptation of the Rescue Minor, Rob White says regarding the
      offset motor/driveshaft:

      "... the boat runs with a slight "weather" helm to starbord. I ws
      going to fix that with a little trim tab on the rudder, but I
      discovered that if you turn loose the tiller with the throttle wide
      open, the boat will begin to circle and soon tighten the cirle unitl
      it is slowly pivoting around and around ... A man overboard could
      easily get back in."

      So, after using the boat extensively, it looks like he would build the

    • mrweswhite
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
        Maybe. My impression was that he thought the offset wasn't needed,
        but that the effects weren't aggravating or detrimental, and
        therefore not worth going to a lot of trouble over. It was not a big
        deal to him, so he may well have changed his mind about it several
        times. I don't think that anyone who builds one of these boats would
        be dissappointed either way. If I remember correctly, the offset is
        mainly intended to cancel out any stern walking while backing down.
        Since he had decided that he didn't really need a reverse for his use
        of the boat, I don't think that he would have seen any reason to
        build it in. Wes
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Butterfield"