Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Rescue Minor Model

  • Hugo Tyson
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 31, 2006
      Yes I think the model looks pretty spot on also after just having a look at the RM plans.

      John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote: The plans show the top of the reverse V going aft pretty straight from the
      sternpost, look at the body plan on the lines to get a better idea. What
      might look like a downward curve on the profile is actually the top of the
      rudder. I think Rich got the shape right in his model.

      --
      John
      Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • windmill4048
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
        Ok, please help me understand what I am looking at in the plans.

        In both the framing and line drawing plans there is an arched line
        shown running from the transom to just foreward of sta. 9. In the
        framing plans this is shown as a solid piece of wood from the middle
        of sta. 10-11 to the transom. That piece of wood is shown as the
        top of the tunnel and over the rudder and prop.

        What am I looking at?

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@...> wrote:

        > Yes I think the model looks pretty spot on also after just having
        a look at the RM plans.

        > John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote: The plans show the top of the
        reverse V going aft pretty straight from the
        > sternpost, look at the body plan on the lines to get a better
        idea. What
        > might look like a downward curve on the profile is actually the
        top of the
        > rudder. I think Rich got the shape right in his model.
        >
        > On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 06:43:17 -0700, windmill4048 wrote:

        > > In comparing them to the plans it looks like the model does not
        > > capture the tunnel shape well at all. The plans show an arc in
        the
        > > top of the tunnel running from the forward end to the aft end. I
        > > don't see that present in the model pictures. It may just be my
        > > poor eyesight. Was that one of the simplifying moves that had to
        be
        > > made to make the construction work?
        > >
        > > This shape is important, suspect, since it would tend to add a
        bit
        > > of fluid dynamic lift to the flow of the water running under the
        > > boat. I keep seeing ol' Bernoulli hanging around there.
        >
        > --
        > John
        > Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.
        >

        > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please
        be polite.

        > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
        plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
        Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the
        resulting boat.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Lewis E. Gordon
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
          Sigh!! I sure wish I had a set of plans in front of me so that I
          could join in this discussion. Oh what the heck, I'm going to stick my
          oar in the water anyway.

          I think that you are basically correct although the downward curve of
          the top of the tunnel aft seems to be very slight. Having only the
          lines in the on-line catalog available, the first photo shows a stern
          view drawing and the aft opening of the tunnel shows a straight line
          from the apex of the inverted V (at the transom) to the chine. The
          left hand side of the lines drawing also shows the same straight line,
          with a hint of slightly higher elevation at station 11.

          The profile view shows a hint of downturn starting at the propeller
          (station 11 1/4). However it is confusing in that the top of the
          rudder curves downward more (makes sense) and the eye tries to follow
          the curve of the rudder.

          Could you scale the plans (or measure from your full size loft-up) the
          actual amount of this downturn of the top of the tunnel to the transom
          and let us know. It has to be there, as quoting from Atkins "Under way
          at top speed the draft will remain at 6 inches." implying no squat aft
          because of the tunnel. In addition, Mr. White also wrote of this
          phenomena of the stern rising as one approached top speed (and not
          disturbing the sand dollars in six inches of water.)

          I need to part with $75 and get me a set of plans.

          Lewis

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2006
            Here's a better image of Rescue Minor's lines:

            http://www.boat-links.com/images/RescueMinorLines.gif

            There is a slight arc to the top of the tunnel aft of the sternpost. At
            station 10, forward of the sternpost, the height of the top of the
            inverted V is 10" above the baseline, at station 11 it's 11 3/4" and at
            the transom it's 10 1/2" above the baseline. I think Rich got that in his
            model.

            On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 05:30:35 -0700, windmill4048 wrote:

            > Ok, please help me understand what I am looking at in the plans.
            >
            > In both the framing and line drawing plans there is an arched line
            > shown running from the transom to just foreward of sta. 9. In the
            > framing plans this is shown as a solid piece of wood from the middle
            > of sta. 10-11 to the transom. That piece of wood is shown as the
            > top of the tunnel and over the rudder and prop.
            >
            > What am I looking at?

            No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get
            himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with
            the chance of being drowned... A man in jail has more room,
            better food, and commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>