Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: plywood Rocking Chair

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 11, 2004
      Wooden decks on a metal hull has been done many times. You've got to be
      careful at the joint between the deck and hull to make sure it's watertight.
      Any joint between metal and wood is going to be a potential rot spot, so
      take precautions.

      Even though I'm the one who brought up metal construction, I think if I was
      building one of the houseboats, and it was going to live in the water, I'd
      do it plank on frame. I like working with wood better than metal, and the
      relatively thick wooden planking is a good insulator.

      On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 03:32:25 -0000, Alan wrote:
      > Yes, sounds pretty good to me. From what I've learned in the first
      > few hours of my crash course in aluminum fabrication it's more akin
      > to wood construction than steel. Setup shouldn't be all that
      > difficult. How do you reckon it would work to do the cabin AND the
      > decks all in plywood/timber and use the aluminum for the hull sides
      > and bottom only ?? There's something a bit raw about aluminum decks.

      Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. <Groucho Marx>
    • lon wells
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 11, 2004
        jkohnen@... wrote:
        ...."Even though I'm the one who brought up metal construction, I think if I was building one of the houseboats, and it was going to live in the water, I'd do it plank on frame. I like working with wood better than metal, and the
        relatively thick wooden planking is a good insulator."

        Greetings

        Another way would be to do a composite construction with steel frame and wood planking and decks. Legendary Yachts in Washougal Washington makes some very fine Yachts using this construction method.

        http://www.legendaryyachts.com/composit_construction.htm

        Lon

      • alan terry
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 12, 2004

          I think if I was
          > building one of the houseboats, and it was going to live in the
          water, I'd
          > do it plank on frame. I like working with wood better than metal,
          and the
          > relatively thick wooden planking is a good insulator.

          Coincidently I have returned to favouring wood construction ---
          after several days of infatuation with the idea of building in
          aluminum. I discovered that, broadly speaking, the cost of materials
          alone are similar for aluminum and for HIGH QUALITY timber plus
          epoxy glassing.
          For aluminum I would have to hire skilled labour, but not for
          timber. And of course, I can make do with less than high quality
          timber. Taking these factors into account the cost of timber is
          about one half that of aluminum. More important, using aluminum
          would have encouraged me to get more fancy and fussy than I want.
          The original idea was to have a simple boat built to a workboat
          standard, that could be finished in months, not years.
          The construction I now have firmly in mind is epoxy glued plank
          (18mm) on frame covered with a layer of plywood and then epoxy
          glassed. From the inside the appearance would be like cold moulded
          plank on frame (better resale value, better looking, etc.), but the
          outside would have all the benefits of glass sheathing.
          And I like working with wood best as well :)

          Alan