Re: [AtkinBoats] Scandal

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
      I've been after Pat to tell you about his Scandal, but he's not ready yet.
      <g> He took pains to make the boat light, though I think the inwale blocks
      are overbuilt. She looks beautiful, but she was built on a tight budget
      using el cheapo plywood. The side planks are 5.2 mm lauan and the bottom
      is 3/8" exterior fir plywood. I think Pat splurged to buy clear dug fir
      for the longitudinals. The thwarts are pine (ponderosa most likely),
      almost as light as cedar but cheaper. She turned out real light, but she
      seems quite strong.

      On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 04:58:49 -0700, Kenneth Grome wrote:

      > This boat is almost narrow enough to be called a canoe so it's no wonder
      > it moves along efficiently, especially if it was built light as Atkin
      > says it should be ... :)
      > Do you happen to know the thickness of the bottom and sides, and whether
      > they are made with plywood or solid lumber? I'm guessing plywood but I
      > cannot tell from the pictures and I'm rather curious, just in case I
      > build one myself.

      Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are
      the divinely provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever
      they are on the brink of starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy
      send them a nice plump missionary. <Oscar Wilde>