Request for plans is in the mail !

  • alan terry
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2004
      Thanks John, Craig, Lon and Sal's Dad for the feedback and
      suggestions on building "Rocking Chair". Yesterday I sent away my
      request for the plans, and now I just have to remember to breath
      until they arrive :) Can't wait to get started!
      Will butt out for a while now and see if I can distract myself with
      everyday life until then.

      Cheers, Alan.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2004
        Where are you intending to use your Rocking Chair Alan? I imagine most of us
        don't know much about New Zealand cruising spots, and would like to hear
        about them.

        On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 07:18:00 -0000, Alan wrote:
        > Will butt out for a while now and see if I can distract myself with
        > everyday life until then.

        Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
        <Mark Twain>
      • alan terry
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2004
          > Where are you intending to use your Rocking Chair Alan? I imagine
          most of us
          > don't know much about New Zealand cruising spots, and would like
          to hear
          > about them.

          I live in the Nelson/Marlborough region at the northern end of the
          South Island. Nelson waters comprise of 2 semi-sheltered bays
          (Golden Bay and Tasman Bay) which are fringed with small coves, long
          sandy beaches, shallow tidal estuaries and a few small harbours.
          Directly to the east is the Marlborough Sounds, (Pelorous and Queen
          Charlotte) which is extensive, scenic, and mostly sheltered. This
          combined area is one of the 2 most popular boating recreational
          areas in the country. Hope you enjoy the following links as much as
          I enjoyed selecting them :)

          http://www.nzescape.com/abel-tasman-golden-bay.html

          http://www.nzescape.com/marlborough-sounds.html

          http://www.doc.govt.nz/Regional-Info/009~Nelson-
          Marlborough/001~About/Map-of-Nelson-Marlborough.asp

          "Rocking Chair" will be a rarity, if not unique, in this area. It
          will spend most of its time on a scenic mooring as a venue for
          relaxing with a glass of wine or 3, and will change location with
          caution (in summer at least). More extensive cruising will be
          possible in the winters, when the weather is more settled.
          Even though there is probably not a barge type houseboat in this
          area at present, there are many work barges. These are used for
          transport and for harvesting mussels. Many are huge, of course, but
          many are only as big as "Rocking Chair". The huge ones are usually
          made of steel. A lot of the smaller barges are built of aluminium
          (the flasher ones!) and some are built of plywood (I know of one
          construction grade plywood barge still going strong after 10 years
          continuous use without fibreglassing,paint only, and with the inside
          sealed with bituminous emulsion).

          Alan
        • alan terry
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2004
            > http://www.doc.govt.nz/Regional-Info/009~Nelson-
            > Marlborough/001~About/Map-of-Nelson-Marlborough.asp

            This is all 1 URL. No spaces between Nelson, the hyphen, and
            Marlborough. How do I make it come out as an active link over 2
            lines?