Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Rescue Minor

  • Ronald Fossum
    Message 1 of 38 , Aug 25, 2006
      I don't know if John Kohnen has mentioned this or not, but a earlier member of the group (hasn't been around in a while tho) by the name of Rich Ledergerber built a 1/4 scale model (3" = 1') of Rescue Minor, including scale materials. Had to batten seam the area in the bow as well as "play with" the tunnel area. I believe John has a fair number of pics that Rich took of this model.

      Ron Fossum

      From: patrick mathers

      2a. Scandal
      From: John Kohnen
      2b. Re: Scandal
      From: Kenneth Grome

      Messages

      1. Re: Rescue Minor
      Posted by: "patrick mathers" p.mathers@... p.mathers
      Date: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:06 pm (PDT)

      Rodger; Thanks for the info. All the best Patrick

      derbyrm wrote: Dave Gerr has some equations in "The Nature of Boats" regarding propeller sizing. The diameter is to fit the boat shape, the pitch is to match the speed, and the area of the blade(s) is derived from the horsepower. (excluding hypercavitating and other exotics)

      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

      Date: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:20 pm (PDT)

      Pat Patteson launched his Scandal for the first time last weekend at the
      Port of Toledo Wooden Boat Festival:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/72157594246819647/

      She performed even better than Pat expected; an elderly 4 hp. Evinrude
      Yachtwin pushed her over 11 mph. with just Pat aboard and 9 mph. with he
      and his wife, Kay, in the boat! She looks good too. Congratulations Pat!
      :o)

      --
      John
      People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. Pearsall Smith>

      Messages in this topic (8)

      2b. Re: Scandal
      Posted by: "Kenneth Grome" bagacayboatworks@... kennethgrome
      Date: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:03 am (PDT)

      Hi John,

      This boat is almost narrow enough to be called a canoe so it's no wonder it moves along efficiently, especially if it was built light as Atkin says it should be ... :)

      And boy oh boy do I love the construction of those inwales! It's great when a utility boat has lots of big wide spaces along the gunnels for attaching whatever needs to be attached, or to grab and not bang your knuckles because the builder thought far enough ahead to leave plenty of space for big hands and fingers.

      Do you happen to know the thickness of the bottom and sides, and whether they are made with plywood or solid lumber? I'm guessing plywood but I cannot tell from the pictures and I'm rather curious, just in case I build one myself.

      Sincerely,
      Kenneth Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:13:02 -0700, John Kohnen wrote:
      > Pat Patteson launched his Scandal for the first time last weekend at the
      > Port of Toledo Wooden Boat Festival:
      >
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/72157594246819647/
      >
      > She performed even better than Pat expected; an elderly 4 hp. Evinrude
      > Yachtwin pushed her over 11 mph. with just Pat aboard and 9 mph. with he
      > and his wife, Kay, in the boat! She looks good too. Congratulations Pat!
      > :o)
      >
      > --
      > John

      Messages in this topic (8)

    • ojskiff
      Message 38 of 38 , May 18, 2014
        I have seen 4 Resue Minors built and 3 of the builders modified Atkin's plans.  All 3 of them had problems with the performance.  Atkin's knew what he was doing and I would recommend that anyone build it according to the plan.I built one under Sea Island Boatworks (Mark Bayne) and we followed the plans to the "tee"  The boat preformed perfectly.  I would advise that everyone stick to the plans.  I have a lot of Rescue Minor construction photos posted at www.morrisislandboatworks.com