Re: [AtkinBoats] Scandal

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25, 2006
      Hi John,

      This boat is almost narrow enough to be called a canoe so it's no wonder it moves along efficiently, especially if it was built light as Atkin says it should be ... :)

      And boy oh boy do I love the construction of those inwales! It's great when a utility boat has lots of big wide spaces along the gunnels for attaching whatever needs to be attached, or to grab and not bang your knuckles because the builder thought far enough ahead to leave plenty of space for big hands and fingers.

      Do you happen to know the thickness of the bottom and sides, and whether they are made with plywood or solid lumber? I'm guessing plywood but I cannot tell from the pictures and I'm rather curious, just in case I build one myself.

      Sincerely,
      Kenneth Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
        I've been after Pat to tell you about his Scandal, but he's not ready yet.
        <g> He took pains to make the boat light, though I think the inwale blocks
        are overbuilt. She looks beautiful, but she was built on a tight budget
        using el cheapo plywood. The side planks are 5.2 mm lauan and the bottom
        is 3/8" exterior fir plywood. I think Pat splurged to buy clear dug fir
        for the longitudinals. The thwarts are pine (ponderosa most likely),
        almost as light as cedar but cheaper. She turned out real light, but she
        seems quite strong.

        On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 04:58:49 -0700, Kenneth Grome wrote:

        > This boat is almost narrow enough to be called a canoe so it's no wonder
        > it moves along efficiently, especially if it was built light as Atkin
        > says it should be ... :)
        > Do you happen to know the thickness of the bottom and sides, and whether
        > they are made with plywood or solid lumber? I'm guessing plywood but I
        > cannot tell from the pictures and I'm rather curious, just in case I
        > build one myself.

        Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are
        the divinely provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever
        they are on the brink of starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy
        send them a nice plump missionary. <Oscar Wilde>