Re: What size rivets to use for Muad & Emeline?

  • cartacreations
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2006
      Thanks for the links. Jamestown is where I usually get my hardware. I have some samples
      coming from Faering, he reccomended either 12ga or 10ga (8d is the same as10ga I
      believe).

      I had misgivings about the plank thickness at first as well, but I'm sure it's not a misprint
      in the plans, he states the thickenss in several places and it's always 3/4" (other
      dimensions can be different depending on what sheet you looking at). Similar designs
      including other Atkin boats use 5/8" planks for boats of the same overall dimensions.
      Thats not a huge difference in plank size and because I'm using WRC instead of W. Ceadar
      I'm happy with the added thickness.

      I'll post some pics as I get further along, so far only the stem and transom knee are
      complete. Building frame set up is next, then I start planing down my plank stock which is
      busy drying in my garage : )

      thanks.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon" <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

      > Wow!! That is stout planking on the topsides. Here are my copper
      > fastener links. The last one you have to look hard to find the three
      > types of copper nails they have. John Gardner preferred the dished
      > English roves vs the flat North American ones. He also mentioned in
      > building a 15' skiff with 3/4 pine planking, to use copper clinch
      > nails spaced on 2" to 2 1/2 inch centers (no gauge given).
      >
      > http://www.slateandcopper.com
      > http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/index.html
      > http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/
      > http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/products.htm
      >
      > Hope that this helps. Post some pictures!
      >
      > Lewis
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "cartacreations"
      > <cartacreations@> wrote:
      > >
      > > No mistake about it, M&E is 3/4" planked bottom and sides, with
      > copper rivets through the
      > > laps. Copper nails are expensive but in such a small boat doing it
      > right will not be cost
      > > prohibitive. SilBronze screws and ring shank nails are used for
      > plank to chine, stem and
      > > transom joints, variously.
      > >
      > > It's the use of WRC (or W Cedar as specd) that allows for such
      > robust planking without too
      > > much weight. I think Atkin's idea with M&E was to make a tough
      > little fishing skiff and
      > > gave her heavy scantlings to that end.
      > >
      > > dave

    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 20, 2006
        The building instructions for Lark -- strakes sized 9/16s has a rivet
        schedule of every 3.5 inches. This may be of some help since M&E is of
        similar size. Sorry I could not help out on the size of the rivets.