Re: plywood Rocking Horse

  • alan terry
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 6, 2004
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, craig o'donnell <dadadata@f...>
      wrote:

      > Harry Sucher's SIMPLIFIED BOATBUILDING/FLAT BOTTOM BOATS gives
      some advice
      > on equivalent construction for scow hulls. Try interlibrary loan

      I did. It's quite interesting, even if rather basic. Following up
      the talk about metal boats I came across BOATBUILDING WITH ALUMINUM
      by Stephen F. Pollard at the local library. To my suprise, it's
      aimed at the backyard builder and is very readable. There were
      multiple copies on the shelves.

      alanterry
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 11, 2004
        Wooden decks on a metal hull has been done many times. You've got to be
        careful at the joint between the deck and hull to make sure it's watertight.
        Any joint between metal and wood is going to be a potential rot spot, so
        take precautions.

        Even though I'm the one who brought up metal construction, I think if I was
        building one of the houseboats, and it was going to live in the water, I'd
        do it plank on frame. I like working with wood better than metal, and the
        relatively thick wooden planking is a good insulator.

        On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 03:32:25 -0000, Alan wrote:
        > Yes, sounds pretty good to me. From what I've learned in the first
        > few hours of my crash course in aluminum fabrication it's more akin
        > to wood construction than steel. Setup shouldn't be all that
        > difficult. How do you reckon it would work to do the cabin AND the
        > decks all in plywood/timber and use the aluminum for the hull sides
        > and bottom only ?? There's something a bit raw about aluminum decks.

        Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. <Groucho Marx>
      • lon wells
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 11, 2004
          jkohnen@... wrote:
          ...."Even though I'm the one who brought up metal construction, I think if I was building one of the houseboats, and it was going to live in the water, I'd do it plank on frame. I like working with wood better than metal, and the
          relatively thick wooden planking is a good insulator."

          Greetings

          Another way would be to do a composite construction with steel frame and wood planking and decks. Legendary Yachts in Washougal Washington makes some very fine Yachts using this construction method.

          http://www.legendaryyachts.com/composit_construction.htm

          Lon

        • alan terry
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 12, 2004

            I think if I was
            > building one of the houseboats, and it was going to live in the
            water, I'd
            > do it plank on frame. I like working with wood better than metal,
            and the
            > relatively thick wooden planking is a good insulator.

            Coincidently I have returned to favouring wood construction ---
            after several days of infatuation with the idea of building in
            aluminum. I discovered that, broadly speaking, the cost of materials
            alone are similar for aluminum and for HIGH QUALITY timber plus
            epoxy glassing.
            For aluminum I would have to hire skilled labour, but not for
            timber. And of course, I can make do with less than high quality
            timber. Taking these factors into account the cost of timber is
            about one half that of aluminum. More important, using aluminum
            would have encouraged me to get more fancy and fussy than I want.
            The original idea was to have a simple boat built to a workboat
            standard, that could be finished in months, not years.
            The construction I now have firmly in mind is epoxy glued plank
            (18mm) on frame covered with a layer of plywood and then epoxy
            glassed. From the inside the appearance would be like cold moulded
            plank on frame (better resale value, better looking, etc.), but the
            outside would have all the benefits of glass sheathing.
            And I like working with wood best as well :)

            Alan