Re: What size rivets to use for Muad & Emeline?

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 13, 2006
      Wow!! That is stout planking on the topsides. Here are my copper
      fastener links. The last one you have to look hard to find the three
      types of copper nails they have. John Gardner preferred the dished
      English roves vs the flat North American ones. He also mentioned in
      building a 15' skiff with 3/4 pine planking, to use copper clinch
      nails spaced on 2" to 2 1/2 inch centers (no gauge given).

      http://www.slateandcopper.com
      http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/index.html
      http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/
      http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/products.htm

      Hope that this helps. Post some pictures!

      Lewis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "cartacreations"
      <cartacreations@...> wrote:

      > No mistake about it, M&E is 3/4" planked bottom and sides, with
      copper rivets through the
      > laps. Copper nails are expensive but in such a small boat doing it
      right will not be cost
      > prohibitive. SilBronze screws and ring shank nails are used for
      plank to chine, stem and
      > transom joints, variously.
      >
      > It's the use of WRC (or W Cedar as specd) that allows for such
      robust planking without too
      > much weight. I think Atkin's idea with M&E was to make a tough
      little fishing skiff and
      > gave her heavy scantlings to that end.
      >
      > dave

    • cartacreations
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2006
        Thanks for the links. Jamestown is where I usually get my hardware. I have some samples
        coming from Faering, he reccomended either 12ga or 10ga (8d is the same as10ga I
        believe).

        I had misgivings about the plank thickness at first as well, but I'm sure it's not a misprint
        in the plans, he states the thickenss in several places and it's always 3/4" (other
        dimensions can be different depending on what sheet you looking at). Similar designs
        including other Atkin boats use 5/8" planks for boats of the same overall dimensions.
        Thats not a huge difference in plank size and because I'm using WRC instead of W. Ceadar
        I'm happy with the added thickness.

        I'll post some pics as I get further along, so far only the stem and transom knee are
        complete. Building frame set up is next, then I start planing down my plank stock which is
        busy drying in my garage : )

        thanks.

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon" <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

        > Wow!! That is stout planking on the topsides. Here are my copper
        > fastener links. The last one you have to look hard to find the three
        > types of copper nails they have. John Gardner preferred the dished
        > English roves vs the flat North American ones. He also mentioned in
        > building a 15' skiff with 3/4 pine planking, to use copper clinch
        > nails spaced on 2" to 2 1/2 inch centers (no gauge given).
        >
        > http://www.slateandcopper.com
        > http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/index.html
        > http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/
        > http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/products.htm
        >
        > Hope that this helps. Post some pictures!
        >
        > Lewis
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "cartacreations"
        > <cartacreations@> wrote:
        > >
        > > No mistake about it, M&E is 3/4" planked bottom and sides, with
        > copper rivets through the
        > > laps. Copper nails are expensive but in such a small boat doing it
        > right will not be cost
        > > prohibitive. SilBronze screws and ring shank nails are used for
        > plank to chine, stem and
        > > transom joints, variously.
        > >
        > > It's the use of WRC (or W Cedar as specd) that allows for such
        > robust planking without too
        > > much weight. I think Atkin's idea with M&E was to make a tough
        > little fishing skiff and
        > > gave her heavy scantlings to that end.
        > >
        > > dave

      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 20, 2006
          The building instructions for Lark -- strakes sized 9/16s has a rivet
          schedule of every 3.5 inches. This may be of some help since M&E is of
          similar size. Sorry I could not help out on the size of the rivets.