Re: [AtkinBoats] What size rivets to use for Muad & Emeline?

  • DirtSailor
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2006
      David,

      As far as size I know that copper nails are more
      commonly refered to buy gauge ie 12g, 14g, etc...
      I would assume that the proper gauge will depend some
      on the thickness of the planks, and the strength
      required to hold the planks together. Since I am no
      expert in the field of copper nails you might drop
      these guys a note:

      http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/index.html

      Dirtsailor

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2006
        David,

        First of all, have you priced copper fasteners lately? The prices have
        gone out of sight. Second, where do you plan to use the copper rivets?
        The lapstrake sides might (maybe should) be riveted, but I cannot
        believe they are 3/4 inch planks. The only 3/4 inch planks I can think
        of on M&E are the bottom, and they should be nailed to the chine log,
        not riveted. Perhaps silicone bronze ring shank nails, three per plank
        end (4 1/2 to 6 inch widths) in pre-drilled holes staggered to not
        split the chine would work.

        For the topsides, WoodenBoat Magazine three or four issues back had a
        very good "How To" article on clench nailing lapstrake planks. Refer
        to it and just substitute copper rivets for the nails. The size and
        spacing for various plank thicknesses were given in the article.

        Good luck,
        Lewis

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "cartacreations"
        <cartacreations@...> wrote:

        > I'm building Muad & Emeline (14' flat bottom skiff w/ 3/4" WRC
        planks). I'm going to rivet
        > the planks but the plans don't mention nail size or spacing. I
        figure it's going to be between
        > a 6d & 8d copper nail but just not sure which is better or how to
        space them.

        > Anybody with similar Atkin plans that do mention what to use?
        >
        > I appreciate the help, thanks.
        >
        > David

      • cartacreations
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 12, 2006
          No mistake about it, M&E is 3/4" planked bottom and sides, with copper rivets through the
          laps. Copper nails are expensive but in such a small boat doing it right will not be cost
          prohibitive. SilBronze screws and ring shank nails are used for plank to chine, stem and
          transom joints, variously.

          It's the use of WRC (or W Cedar as specd) that allows for such robust planking without too
          much weight. I think Atkin's idea with M&E was to make a tough little fishing skiff and
          gave her heavy scantlings to that end.

          dave

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon" <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

          > David,
          >
          > First of all, have you priced copper fasteners lately? The prices have
          > gone out of sight. Second, where do you plan to use the copper rivets?
          > The lapstrake sides might (maybe should) be riveted, but I cannot
          > believe they are 3/4 inch planks. The only 3/4 inch planks I can think
          > of on M&E are the bottom, and they should be nailed to the chine log,
          > not riveted. Perhaps silicone bronze ring shank nails, three per plank
          > end (4 1/2 to 6 inch widths) in pre-drilled holes staggered to not
          > split the chine would work.
          >
          > For the topsides, WoodenBoat Magazine three or four issues back had a
          > very good "How To" article on clench nailing lapstrake planks. Refer
          > to it and just substitute copper rivets for the nails. The size and
          > spacing for various plank thicknesses were given in the article.
          >
          > Good luck,
          > Lewis
          >

          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "cartacreations"
          > <cartacreations@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm building Muad & Emeline (14' flat bottom skiff w/ 3/4" WRC
          > planks). I'm going to rivet
          > > the planks but the plans don't mention nail size or spacing. I
          > figure it's going to be between
          > > a 6d & 8d copper nail but just not sure which is better or how to
          > space them.
          > >
          > > Anybody with similar Atkin plans that do mention what to use?
          > >
          > > I appreciate the help, thanks.
          > >
          > > David

        • Lewis E. Gordon
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 13, 2006
            Wow!! That is stout planking on the topsides. Here are my copper
            fastener links. The last one you have to look hard to find the three
            types of copper nails they have. John Gardner preferred the dished
            English roves vs the flat North American ones. He also mentioned in
            building a 15' skiff with 3/4 pine planking, to use copper clinch
            nails spaced on 2" to 2 1/2 inch centers (no gauge given).

            http://www.slateandcopper.com
            http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/index.html
            http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/
            http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/products.htm

            Hope that this helps. Post some pictures!

            <cartacreations@...> wrote:

            > No mistake about it, M&E is 3/4" planked bottom and sides, with
            copper rivets through the
            > laps. Copper nails are expensive but in such a small boat doing it
            right will not be cost
            > prohibitive. SilBronze screws and ring shank nails are used for
            plank to chine, stem and
            > transom joints, variously.
            >
            > It's the use of WRC (or W Cedar as specd) that allows for such
            robust planking without too
            > much weight. I think Atkin's idea with M&E was to make a tough
            little fishing skiff and
            > gave her heavy scantlings to that end.
            >
            > dave

          • cartacreations
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2006
              Thanks for the links. Jamestown is where I usually get my hardware. I have some samples
              coming from Faering, he reccomended either 12ga or 10ga (8d is the same as10ga I
              believe).

              I had misgivings about the plank thickness at first as well, but I'm sure it's not a misprint
              in the plans, he states the thickenss in several places and it's always 3/4" (other
              dimensions can be different depending on what sheet you looking at). Similar designs
              including other Atkin boats use 5/8" planks for boats of the same overall dimensions.
              Thats not a huge difference in plank size and because I'm using WRC instead of W. Ceadar
              I'm happy with the added thickness.

              I'll post some pics as I get further along, so far only the stem and transom knee are
              complete. Building frame set up is next, then I start planing down my plank stock which is
              busy drying in my garage : )

              thanks.

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon" <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

              > Wow!! That is stout planking on the topsides. Here are my copper
              > fastener links. The last one you have to look hard to find the three
              > types of copper nails they have. John Gardner preferred the dished
              > English roves vs the flat North American ones. He also mentioned in
              > building a 15' skiff with 3/4 pine planking, to use copper clinch
              > nails spaced on 2" to 2 1/2 inch centers (no gauge given).
              >
              > http://www.slateandcopper.com
              > http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/index.html
              > http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/
              > http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/products.htm
              >
              > Hope that this helps. Post some pictures!
              >
              > Lewis
              >
              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "cartacreations"
              > <cartacreations@> wrote:
              > >
              > > No mistake about it, M&E is 3/4" planked bottom and sides, with
              > copper rivets through the
              > > laps. Copper nails are expensive but in such a small boat doing it
              > right will not be cost
              > > prohibitive. SilBronze screws and ring shank nails are used for
              > plank to chine, stem and
              > > transom joints, variously.
              > >
              > > It's the use of WRC (or W Cedar as specd) that allows for such
              > robust planking without too
              > > much weight. I think Atkin's idea with M&E was to make a tough
              > little fishing skiff and
              > > gave her heavy scantlings to that end.
              > >
              > > dave

            • Dennis
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 20, 2006
                The building instructions for Lark -- strakes sized 9/16s has a rivet
                schedule of every 3.5 inches. This may be of some help since M&E is of
                similar size. Sorry I could not help out on the size of the rivets.