William Atkins Design "Periwinkl"

  • Russell Pocock
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2006
      Hi Everyone,

      Does anyone know of any boatbuilder or private builder that has
      built any Atkins design of boats in Hobart,Tasmania, Australia.

      The boat which I purchased 15 months ago was called "Perriwinkle".
      I now know that she is the "Periwinkl" design of William Atkins
      which he designed in 1924. Perriwinkle (slightly different spelling)
      has been built following the design exactly. This design also
      appeared in the "Ideal Series" of Motor Boating.

      There is also a 24 foot Atkins design for sale at "Boat Point" and
      is presently located at the Murray Street Pier in Hobart. She is
      advertised as a Jibheaded sloop though.

      I would like to find the builder of my "Periwinkl".

      I brought her off John Mitchell of Lutana and he cannot remember the
      name of the older man he brought her from. She was moored in
      Newtown Bay for around 5 years when owned by John Mitchell. He said
      that she was moored in the next bay up the Derwent River (around
      Incat) for quite a few years before he brought her.

      She has a moroon Standing Lug Sail and is powerd by a 8hp YSE Yanmar
      Diesel.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated. She is on the groups photo
      page. She will be part of the Hobart Wooden Boat Festival in
      Febuary.

      Regards,
      Russell Pocock (Tinderbox, Tas)