Re: Rescue Minor planking

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
      You're probably right Mike, especially given how fast Atkin cranked out these designs. It boggles the mind. It might also be partly that he felt the hull HAD to be this way for the tunnel to work, and left it to the builder to deal with getting as close as possible. More was expected of the amateur building in the days before Instant Boats.
      --Rob

      Re: Rescue Minor planking
      Posted by: "Mike Dolph" johndolph@... austindolph
      Date: Tue Aug 1, 2006 11:34 am (PDT)

      If I had to guess, based on my own feelings about the subject, I'd
      say they doubted the hull forms obtainable with conic projections
      were worth the effort for small boats built in plywood. I feel sure
      they understood the material, but preferred to stretch the envelope
      to get these hull forms. John Gardner also used batten seam
      construction and/or built clinker boats with plywood planks.

      Mike Dolph