Re: Rescue Minor planking

  • waltbald
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
      The Atkin view of plywood hull technology is expressed with some vigor
      (and not a little vinegar) in this passage from the catalog web page
      for "Unscanctioned".

      "There has not been an attempt made to plank the topsides and bottom
      with single sheets of plywood. This, in my opinion, is a fallacy which
      is quickly becoming recognized. The development of sections and the
      adapting of form to suit materials tends only to produce wet, unkindly
      hulls. The simple straight sections, upon which three or more widths
      of plywood may be applied without the need for developable surfaces
      will prove far less work to plank than the application of a single
      piece. Those of you who have tried vainly to balance a large sheet of
      plywood across the surface of a table saw and follow the lines of deck
      edge and chine I am sure will agree. Not to mention the problems of
      hanging the monster against the hull and applying clamps in a hundred
      places at once to hold it fast."

      Perhaps the attitude is behind the times, but the design is still
      ahead of its time, so it all averages out.

      have fun,

      Walter Owens

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...> wrote:

      > If I had to guess, based on my own feelings about the subject, I'd
      > say they doubted the hull forms obtainable with conic projections
      > were worth the effort for small boats built in plywood. I feel sure
      > they understood the material, but preferred to stretch the envelope
      > to get these hull forms. John Gardner also used batten seam
      > construction and/or built clinker boats with plywood planks.
      >
      > Mike Dolph
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy
      > <robrohdeszudy@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hmm...a puzzle. Maybe they hadn't quite figured out plywood yet? --
      > Rob

    • Rob Rohde-Szudy
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
        You're probably right Mike, especially given how fast Atkin cranked out these designs. It boggles the mind. It might also be partly that he felt the hull HAD to be this way for the tunnel to work, and left it to the builder to deal with getting as close as possible. More was expected of the amateur building in the days before Instant Boats.
        --Rob

        Re: Rescue Minor planking
        Posted by: "Mike Dolph" johndolph@... austindolph