Re: Rescue Minor planking

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hmm...a puzzle. Maybe they hadn't quite figured out plywood yet? --Rob

      AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Rescue Minor
      From: sals_dad

      Message

      1. Re: Rescue Minor
      Posted by: "sals_dad" sals_dad@... sals_dad
      Date: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:08 pm (PDT)

      --- Rob Rohde-Szudy wrote:

      > John, I think you might have just answered one of my questions. I
      bet Atkin heard about the planking difficulty on RM, and that's why
      he drew SR with the sides as three batten sea, plywood planks, even
      though they look like they could be a single sheet. Maybe I'll make
      that model big enough to see if there are errors in the table of
      offsets. --Rob

      My model showed there were some difficulties in the bow, but at 1/4
      scale, and 1/8 Masonite sheathing, it was hard to tell just where
      the problem is. Take another look at the photos I posted; there are
      a lot of the bow. You will see that I used come-alongs and 1/4"
      threaded rod to try to pull the panels in, and still wound up with
      the foward bottom about 2" fuller than Atkin showed. The box keel
      (deadwood) section was even harder to twist. And I never did
      resolve the issue with the midships transition; wound up cutting it
      to "relax" the panels.

      The model I did of Shoals Runner, 1/3 (or was it 30%?) scale, 1/8
      lauan, was a bit better for checking the shape. But in that case I
      was careful only on the lower panels, and had some fun with the
      topsides (I don't care for the styling, or Normand stern). I wound
      up making the entire bottom and tunnel out of a single panel; seemed
      to work fine.

      How about a 2/3 or 3/4 scale model? 3/4 bottom, 1/4 everywhere
      else... Try it out with a 6 hp, or big electric motor?

      As to my progress, the welder I am working with has had a number of
      unrelated issues which have delayed him; she's been sitting in his
      driveway for a month...

      Curtis

      Messages in this topic (28)

    • Mike Dolph
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
        If I had to guess, based on my own feelings about the subject, I'd
        say they doubted the hull forms obtainable with conic projections
        were worth the effort for small boats built in plywood. I feel sure
        they understood the material, but preferred to stretch the envelope
        to get these hull forms. John Gardner also used batten seam
        construction and/or built clinker boats with plywood planks.

        Mike Dolph

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy
        <robrohdeszudy@...> wrote:

        > Hmm...a puzzle. Maybe they hadn't quite figured out plywood yet? --
        Rob

        > AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > There is 1 message in this issue.
        >
        > Topics in this digest:
        >
        > 1. Re: Rescue Minor
        > From: sals_dad
        >

        > Message

        ___

        > 1. Re: Rescue Minor
        > Posted by: "sals_dad" sals_dad@... sals_dad
        > Date: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:08 pm (PDT)
        >
        > --- Rob Rohde-Szudy wrote:
        > >
        > > John, I think you might have just answered one of my questions.
        > bet Atkin heard about the planking difficulty on RM, and that's
        why
        > he drew SR with the sides as three batten sea, plywood planks,
        even
        > though they look like they could be a single sheet. Maybe I'll
        make
        > that model big enough to see if there are errors in the table of
        > offsets. --Rob
        > >

        > My model showed there were some difficulties in the bow, but at
        1/4
        > scale, and 1/8 Masonite sheathing, it was hard to tell just where
        > the problem is. Take another look at the photos I posted; there
        are
        > a lot of the bow. You will see that I used come-alongs and 1/4"
        > threaded rod to try to pull the panels in, and still wound up with
        > the foward bottom about 2" fuller than Atkin showed. The box keel
        > (deadwood) section was even harder to twist. And I never did
        > resolve the issue with the midships transition; wound up cutting
        it
        > to "relax" the panels.
        >
        > The model I did of Shoals Runner, 1/3 (or was it 30%?) scale, 1/8
        > lauan, was a bit better for checking the shape. But in that case I
        > was careful only on the lower panels, and had some fun with the
        > topsides (I don't care for the styling, or Normand stern). I wound
        > up making the entire bottom and tunnel out of a single panel;
        seemed
        > to work fine.
        >
        > How about a 2/3 or 3/4 scale model? 3/4 bottom, 1/4 everywhere
        > else... Try it out with a 6 hp, or big electric motor?
        >

        > As to my progress, the welder I am working with has had a number
        of
        > unrelated issues which have delayed him; she's been sitting in his
        > driveway for a month...
        >
        > Curtis
        >

        > Messages in this topic (28)

        ___

        ___

        > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please
        be polite.

        > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
        plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and
        Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the
        resulting boat.

        -----

      • waltbald
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
          The Atkin view of plywood hull technology is expressed with some vigor
          (and not a little vinegar) in this passage from the catalog web page
          for "Unscanctioned".

          "There has not been an attempt made to plank the topsides and bottom
          with single sheets of plywood. This, in my opinion, is a fallacy which
          is quickly becoming recognized. The development of sections and the
          adapting of form to suit materials tends only to produce wet, unkindly
          hulls. The simple straight sections, upon which three or more widths
          of plywood may be applied without the need for developable surfaces
          will prove far less work to plank than the application of a single
          piece. Those of you who have tried vainly to balance a large sheet of
          plywood across the surface of a table saw and follow the lines of deck
          edge and chine I am sure will agree. Not to mention the problems of
          hanging the monster against the hull and applying clamps in a hundred
          places at once to hold it fast."

          Perhaps the attitude is behind the times, but the design is still
          ahead of its time, so it all averages out.

          have fun,

          Walter Owens

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...> wrote:

          > If I had to guess, based on my own feelings about the subject, I'd
          > say they doubted the hull forms obtainable with conic projections
          > were worth the effort for small boats built in plywood. I feel sure
          > they understood the material, but preferred to stretch the envelope
          > to get these hull forms. John Gardner also used batten seam
          > construction and/or built clinker boats with plywood planks.
          >
          > Mike Dolph
          >
          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy
          > <robrohdeszudy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hmm...a puzzle. Maybe they hadn't quite figured out plywood yet? --
          > Rob

        • Rob Rohde-Szudy
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
            You're probably right Mike, especially given how fast Atkin cranked out these designs. It boggles the mind. It might also be partly that he felt the hull HAD to be this way for the tunnel to work, and left it to the builder to deal with getting as close as possible. More was expected of the amateur building in the days before Instant Boats.
            --Rob

            Re: Rescue Minor planking
            Posted by: "Mike Dolph" johndolph@... austindolph