Re: [AtkinBoats] Lady of the Lake

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2004
      Building Lady of the Lake with plywood planking shouldn't be a problem.
      She's designed for thwartship bottom planking with no frames, so I'd put the
      plywood on crosswise too (the bottom is just less than 8' wide), maybe
      adding a few cross frames on the bottom to boot.

      A 28' by 8'6" houseboat is a LOT of boat to be trailering, you wouldn't do
      it often, for sure. I don't think it'd be worth lopping a foot off the width
      just so you can trailer without a permit.

      On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:56:22 -0000, surbahars wrote:
      > I am interested in a design like Lady of the Lake, but I am not
      > sure. Since the plans are NOT written for plywood I am not sure. I
      > want a boat for America's rivers, but I wonder if Lady is really
      > ONLY suitable for the mildest of rivers. Plus, it is 9' 6" wide,
      > which means it can't be trailered. This makes its mission pretty
      > limited. Or does it? I could modify the plans to make the boat 8'
      > 6", and to use plywood instead of planking. And I would have to find
      > a modern motor for it to work. It sure would be a fun boat... but
      > with all that work...

      Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless
      they meet two conditions:
      1. He is a Greek
      2. He is a Fisherman <Roy Blount Jr.>
    • Eugene Dixon
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
        Would like coments or sugestions' Have plans on hand. Original was
        cross planked bottom with side frames added after building.
        Would like to use sawn frames and MDO ply.
        Questions are scantling size? Will be using doug fir and so.
        yellow pine'