Re: Questions about the Morning Star

  • waltbald
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2006
      Greetings and welcome aboard.

      One of the challenges of the Atkin legacy is that there are so many
      designs (hundreds) that it is often hard to find someone else who is
      interested in the same design as you. None of us feel qualified to
      claim any Atkin design as "mine". So, to a large extent, you're on
      your own.

      With that said I'll offer a few observations from an armchair
      commodore point of view.

      Morning Star is recommended in the catalog web page for "wherever
      water flows." I would think that this refers most obviously to rivers,
      maybe bays and estuaries, most likely not to the open ocean.

      As big as the cockpit is, I bet it was not intended to be used in
      waters where self bailing would be an issue.

      I would not want to go 50 miles offshore in a boat built by someone
      who had never built a boat before. Doubly so if the design were
      altered by the builder.

      If you want to build the boat and enjoy it, I'd say go for it. Build
      it well, operate it sensibly, and I bet it will give you a lot of
      pleasure. On the other hand, if you expect this boat to put money in
      your bank account, you need advice from someone a great deal more
      qualified than me.

      best of luck,

      Walter Owens

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chiros_81" <chiros_81@...> wrote:

      > Hi,I'm interested in your design of "morning star" for serious offshore
      > (50 to 70 miles) fishing. I have a number of questions before I buy the
      > plans:
      > 1) Can the hull be extended by 2 or 3 feet?
      > 2) Is it self bailing/draining?
      > 3) Is it possible to build a fish box that can hold 2,ooo lbs of fish?
      > 4) Is it really an offshore boat?
      > I like the features of the morning star such as the simplicity of cons
      > truction,less maintenance and speed.I will be a first time boatbuilder.
      > Any help will be appreciated.Thanks in advance!

    • Chito Meracap
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2006
        THANKS.Thanks Walter, I appreciate that.