Re: Rescue Minor

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 23 8:40 PM
      I'd get the same Kubota Robb had. Remember that Robb's isn't a RM built to the plans. It's his own version with ULTRAlight strip planking. The weight of the RM hull built to plans will definitely need the power specified. Atkin specified RM way heavier than any of us will need it, as it was intended for wartime service. I think you'd be safe in reducing the bottom and tunnnel area to 3/4" ply, bilges to 1/2", and topsides to 1/4". 3/8" for any deck you'll walk on. You'll likely want to make the 3/4 out of two layers of 3/8. These scantlings are more like Atkin used for Shoals Runner, and will be noticeably lighter than RM. But I still think you'll want the Kubota Robb used.
      --Rob

    • ojskiff
      Message 38 of 38 , May 18, 2014
        I have seen 4 Resue Minors built and 3 of the builders modified Atkin's plans.  All 3 of them had problems with the performance.  Atkin's knew what he was doing and I would recommend that anyone build it according to the plan.I built one under Sea Island Boatworks (Mark Bayne) and we followed the plans to the "tee"  The boat preformed perfectly.  I would advise that everyone stick to the plans.  I have a lot of Rescue Minor construction photos posted at www.morrisislandboatworks.com