Re: Slightly Larger River Belle

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2006
      I'd say 44' isn't SLIGHTLY larger than River Belle! It's a hell of a lot larger! Don't underestimate the amount of work a boat that size is. I'd consider every possible alternative before rolling up my sleeves. River Belle is a damned big project. Plenty of projects that size go unfinished and rot or are sold that way after the divorce. 44' is probably close to twice the sanding alone.

      But if you REALLY need something that size, I'd get the River Belle plans and take them to a competent designer to get them upsized. I'd call guys like Bolger, Thiel and Buehler to see what they think. Gerr might be ideal. They probably won't have time to take it on, but they can refer you to the right sort.

      --Rob

    • Phil S.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2006
        Thanks for the input, Gerr has a design that is
        similar and would do what I am looking for, but his
        design is REALLY expensive.

        I appreciate your concern but I build large buildings
        for a living, after all a boat is just a building
        built well enough to move, lol.
        Thanks
        Phil

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28, 2006
          The boat built by Alex Hadden (ads in WoodenBoat and elsewhere) a few
          years ago was a Seabright skiff larger than River Belle, but not anywhere
          near 44 ft. The plans aren't in the catalog, but Mrs. Atkin would probably
          sell them to a competent boatbuilder, I guess they're not considered
          suitable for amateurs.

          On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:28:49 -0700, Phil S. wrote:

          > Hey gang,
          > I have looked pretty extensively through the atkins site but can't seem
          > to find a plan for a
          > sea bright skiff type hull larger than the River Belle. I need something
          > in the 44ft range.

          Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl
          and discovering she looks like a haddock. <John Barrymore>