Slightly Larger River Belle

  • Phil S.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2006
      Hey gang,
      I have looked pretty extensively through the atkins site but can't seem to find a plan for a
      sea bright skiff type hull larger than the River Belle. I need something in the 44ft range.
      Thanks
      Phil
    • Rob Rohde-Szudy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2006
        I'd say 44' isn't SLIGHTLY larger than River Belle! It's a hell of a lot larger! Don't underestimate the amount of work a boat that size is. I'd consider every possible alternative before rolling up my sleeves. River Belle is a damned big project. Plenty of projects that size go unfinished and rot or are sold that way after the divorce. 44' is probably close to twice the sanding alone.

        But if you REALLY need something that size, I'd get the River Belle plans and take them to a competent designer to get them upsized. I'd call guys like Bolger, Thiel and Buehler to see what they think. Gerr might be ideal. They probably won't have time to take it on, but they can refer you to the right sort.

        --Rob

      • Phil S.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2006
          Thanks for the input, Gerr has a design that is
          similar and would do what I am looking for, but his
          design is REALLY expensive.

          I appreciate your concern but I build large buildings
          for a living, after all a boat is just a building
          built well enough to move, lol.
          Thanks
          Phil

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 28, 2006
            The boat built by Alex Hadden (ads in WoodenBoat and elsewhere) a few
            years ago was a Seabright skiff larger than River Belle, but not anywhere
            near 44 ft. The plans aren't in the catalog, but Mrs. Atkin would probably
            sell them to a competent boatbuilder, I guess they're not considered
            suitable for amateurs.

            On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:28:49 -0700, Phil S. wrote:

            > Hey gang,
            > I have looked pretty extensively through the atkins site but can't seem
            > to find a plan for a
            > sea bright skiff type hull larger than the River Belle. I need something
            > in the 44ft range.

            Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl
            and discovering she looks like a haddock. <John Barrymore>