Re: Lewis' Boat

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2006
      Hell, Lewis, I think you have too much power for what you want to do! I doubt you need over 25 hp for what you're after. A plywood design that leaps to mind is the SkiffAmerica20.

      You might look up the book "Pete Culler's Boats". The Fast Outboard for Commodore Percy Chubb would make good use of that power. It's 24 feet by 7 feet. Draft of 23". Pages 103-105. He mentions that an 18' version exists.

      But if you're building plank on frame, you can look through the lines of the real golden oldies and loft what you like.

      --Rob

      Now to keep this long post on topic, if anyone knows of an Atkins
      design to hang my 40 HP off the transom I would like to hear your
      ideas, as I just haven't found anything I like. The requirements are:
      to use on a very large lake with a wicked short and steep chop, cruse
      speed of 15-18 mph at about 2/3 throttle, and to be built plank on
      frame (no plywood available).

      Lewis

    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2006
        Rob,

        Thanks, but there is NO plywood available here. I will look up the
        plan you mentioned and see if it could be adapted for plank on frame.
        Here in Nicaragua, the exterior plywood (if you can find it) is called
        "marino", but it is FAR from bing marine quality. It barely qualifies
        as exterior, although the glue used is fine. I have used quite a bit
        as forming for construction, and the outer plies are so thin I can
        peel them off with glue from a hot glue gun.

        I have the plans for Culler's 18' Fast Outboard (based on the 16
        footer also included). The 24' version is a BIG boat, heavier than I
        want to tackle now. I now wish I had ordered more of Pete's plans when
        they were easily available. I may build the 18' version, but stretched
        to 19' or so.

        Lewis,
        Granada, Nicaragua

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
        wrote:

        > Hell, Lewis, I think you have too much power for what you want to
        do! I doubt you need over 25 hp for what you're after. A plywood
        design that leaps to mind is the SkiffAmerica20.

        > You might look up the book "Pete Culler's Boats". The Fast Outboard
        for Commodore Percy Chubb would make good use of that power. It's 24
        feet by 7 feet. Draft of 23". Pages 103-105. He mentions that an 18'
        version exists.

        > But if you're building plank on frame, you can look through the
        lines of the real golden oldies and loft what you like.

        > --Rob
        >
        > Now to keep this long post on topic, if anyone knows of an Atkins
        > design to hang my 40 HP off the transom I would like to hear your
        > ideas, as I just haven't found anything I like. The requirements are:
        > to use on a very large lake with a wicked short and steep chop, cruse
        > speed of 15-18 mph at about 2/3 throttle, and to be built plank on
        > frame (no plywood available).
        >
        > Lewis

      • Rob Rohde-Szudy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 18, 2006
          SkiffAmerica would be too heavy in plank on frame. I'd stick with something designed for it. Culler or Atkin, probably. MIght also look through the Gardner books. I seem to remember a semi-dory power skiff that might work. Can't remember whether it was in Classic Small Craft or the Dory Book.
          --Rob

        • Lewis E. Gordon
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 18, 2006
            Rob,

            Thanks for the replies. SkiffAmerica looks neat, but as you say, would
            be too heavy in plank on frame. For lack of a suitable Atkins design,
            the leading candidates thus far are (1) Bolger's 21' Fishermans Launch
            (2) Gardner's 18' Down East Workboat and (3) Gardner's 20' 3" Semi-V
            Garvey. Both Gardner designs are in the book More Building Classic
            Small Craft. The garvey is attractive because of the ability to nose
            up on a shallow bank and let the "cargo" step out onto dry land
            without getting their feet wet. And Culler's 18' Fast Outboard is
            still in the running.

            Rob, why don't you start up a Gardner Yahoo Forum? I have thought
            about the idea, but I just don't have the bandwidth down here to do a
            good job of monitoring. He has a lot of suitable semi-dory skiffs in
            his books, but I just don't want another flat-bottomed boat. I have
            the 15 Foot Flattie Skiff half done. (To use a 5 HP motor I have
            available.) Maybe my problem is that I have too many motors!

            wrote:

            > SkiffAmerica would be too heavy in plank on frame. I'd stick with
            something designed for it. Culler or Atkin, probably. MIght also look
            through the Gardner books. I seem to remember a semi-dory power skiff
            that might work. Can't remember whether it was in Classic Small Craft
            or the Dory Book.
            > --Rob

          • derbyrm
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 19, 2006
              I have no idea of what the applicable taxes, customs, and import duties
              would be for Nicaragua, but my plywood was made from African trees by
              Israelis and then imported to Massachusetts and shipped to me in Indiana.
              Boulter Plywood was the low price (delivered), the wood is beautiful, and
              they were easy to work with. http://www.boulterplywood.com/

              Maybe you can get plywood?? (or maybe you've already checked this out)

              Roger
              derbyrm@...
              http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

              wrote:

              > SkiffAmerica would be too heavy in plank on frame. I'd stick with
              something designed for it. Culler or Atkin, probably. MIght also look
              through the Gardner books. I seem to remember a semi-dory power skiff
              that might work. Can't remember whether it was in Classic Small Craft
              or the Dory Book.
              > --Rob

            • Rob Rohde-Szudy
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 19, 2006
                Hey Lewis,

                Too many motors is a GOOD problem to have! Sounds like you're looking at pretty reasonable choices. Hard to beat a good garvey when you need a utility. But of course it depends on the water you're working.

                Interesting thought on the Gardner forum. I wonder if I know enough about him to moderate it! I'll think on it.

                Best,

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 28, 2006
                  There's a 16' outboard semidory in Classic Small Craft but 40 hp. is
                  probably too much for it, the 18' version in The Dory Book might take it.
                  Gardner's plans call for a plywood garboard strake, but that could easily
                  be replaced by two or three conventional planks -- lapped of course.

                  On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:08:01 -0700, Rob wrote:

                  > SkiffAmerica would be too heavy in plank on frame. I'd stick with
                  > something designed for it. Culler or Atkin, probably. MIght also look
                  > through the Gardner books. I seem to remember a semi-dory power skiff
                  > that might work. Can't remember whether it was in Classic Small Craft or
                  > the Dory Book.

                  One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell
                  by Dickens without laughing. <Oscar Wilde>