Re: Gardner garvey

  • Lewis E. Gordon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2006
      Bruce,

      Rob pointed out in his post (on another thread) some of the
      differences between the Atkins tunnel sterns and other derivatives,
      but I thought I would add my 5 cents worth (inflation you know). Rob
      also asked the key question of how fast you want to go.

      The pages in my copy of Mr. Gardner's book are very well "thumbed" at
      the chapters of those two garveys. The 18' V-tunnel is interesting and
      should be fast with modest power. I have a short shaft 40HP Evinrude
      that needs a hull which is why that design is looked at so often. This
      motor was used in North Carolina on an 18' shallow-V plywood "well
      boat", with the transom left clear for gill-netting. The well was
      identical to some that Mr. Gardner specified on several of his
      designs. I never liked this combination for several reasons. (1) it
      lost a lot of displacement at the stern because of the well. (2) the
      motors "shallow draft" feature was unusable because the propeller hit
      the sides of the well if trying to make any kind of turn. And (3) the
      trim angle was non-adjustable because you had to lift the heavy motor
      out of the well to make the adjustment. I must add, however, that this
      boat was very well used, moderately fast, and extremely economical
      with fuel.

      If you want to go a little slower and have a clear transom, the 18'
      10" garvey in the previous chapter is appealing. But, to finally
      answer your question, I don't think it is possible to combine "tunnel
      technology" and a well with any success. You would lose too much
      displacement as well as the other problems Rob pointed out.

      Now to keep this long post on topic, if anyone knows of an Atkins
      design to hang my 40 HP off the transom I would like to hear your
      ideas, as I just haven't found anything I like. The requirements are:
      to use on a very large lake with a wicked short and steep chop, cruse
      speed of 15-18 mph at about 2/3 throttle, and to be built plank on
      frame (no plywood available).

      Lewis

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2006
        Ninigret could be built plank-on-frame. Her sides are already lapstrake
        and you could do the bottom batten-seam. Forty horses would push a
        Ninigret along fine.

        On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:00:04 -0700, Lewis wrote:

        > Now to keep this long post on topic, if anyone knows of an Atkins
        > design to hang my 40 HP off the transom I would like to hear your
        > ideas, as I just haven't found anything I like. The requirements are:
        > to use on a very large lake with a wicked short and steep chop, cruse
        > speed of 15-18 mph at about 2/3 throttle, and to be built plank on
        > frame (no plywood available).

        A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.
        <Lord Peter Wimsey>