Re: Tunnel Sterns

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2006
      Patrick: glad to hear you got your plans! I'm still making models from study plans. RM is definitely built incredibly stoutly for wartime service. Undoubtedly it could be lightened for pleasure service. Note that its cousin Shoals Runner uses 1/4" ply for the sides, 1/2" for the bottom.

      Bruce: A motor well can't work like an Atkin tunnel stern. There are other stern tunnels out there but they don't work the same way. Generally far less efficient. Atkin uses the entire hull to feel water to the prop, then shape the prop wash. It's not just a little tunnel cut in any old hull. And none of these will work well with an outboard motor well, because the prop has to form a vacuum in the tunnel to draw water in. An open top will just suck air. Robb White was even worried about the machinery leaking air, so I think you probably need inboard equipment. But maybe not. Curtis is planning to try bolting the cavitation plate of an outboard to the tunnel. We'll see if it really does leak a

      There are other ways to get what you specified, but one thing you didn't tell us is how fast you hope it to go.

      --Rob

      2. Gardner garvey
      Posted by: "bru08107" echo172@... bru08107
      Date: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:15 pm (PDT)

      Reading a John Gardner book of boat plans you can build I noticed a
      odd garvey with a stern like the Atkins "minors" The book isn't
      illustrated to the point of me being able to make clear observations
      which leaves me with questions. Does the tunnel stern adapt to a motor
      well? I am trying to get a design that will allow me full use of the
      transom for fishing in a light trailerable boat. 16-22 feet, 1000 lbs
      or less. No frills day tripper, rinse and cover, till next trip.
      Yours,
      Bruce