HOW MANY DESIGNS ?

  • richard_led
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2004
      John, i wonder how many design the atkin"s, father and son designed
      in their carrers? i thought it was over 700 designs, thought i had
      seen most all of them at one time or another. have quite a few of the
      motor boat series books, and some that were in various magazines, and
      the national fisherman years ago..i wonder if there are many
      designs "WE" havenot seen as yet. i sent for the plans to pat atkins
      for the rescue minor, and hope my note finds her in good health,
      thanks richie_led. on another note i guess as someone said there is
      always another boat to look at or build... have aleays been
      interested in sailing scows, the smaller ones, if i wewe younger i
      probably would build one, but sfter taking 5 years to build a gaff
      ketch bsck in the 70"s i do not want to tie up another many year
      project,, haw, gettin older....
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2004
        John Atkin's last design, fittingly a flat-bottom skiff, was numbered 873.
        There were apparently a few boats that didn't get numbered, for one reason
        or another, because Mrs. Atkin says the total is over 900! Most of the
        designs weren't intended for amateur builders, but a large proportion were.
        My guess is that around 400 designs appeared in MoToR BoatinG. Over 300
        boats are in the current catalog, if my count is correct. The Atkins,
        especially Billy, were quite prolific, but it looks like Phil Bolger
        probably wins the prize for most boats designed by one person.

        There are plenty of designs _I_ haven't seen yet. <g> If you run across any
        that aren't in the catalog or MoToR BoatinG please post pictures in the
        files section. I've got a few I'll add soon.

        On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:23:26 -0000, Rich wrote:
        > John, i wonder how many design the atkin"s, father and son designed
        > in their carrers? i thought it was over 700 designs, thought i had
        > seen most all of them at one time or another. have quite a few of the
        > motor boat series books, and some that were in various magazines, and
        > the national fisherman years ago..i wonder if there are many
        > designs "WE" havenot seen as yet.

        People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading.
        <Logan Pearsall Smith>
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2004
          I got that figure from an article in Wooden Boat, but the author was
          mistaken. Yesterday I got a nice gift from Mrs. Atkin -- the plans for a 17'
          plywood flat-bottom catboat, drawn by John Atkin in early 1993 and numbered
          876!

          On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:41:37 -0800, I wrote:
          > John Atkin's last design, fittingly a flat-bottom skiff, was numbered 873.

          One must have a heart of stone to read the death of Little Nell by
          Dickens without laughing. <Oscar Wilde>