Re: Flat bottoms

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2006
      Rob, Surprise might look pretty good built as an open boat and the
      motor left at home. If a Sharpie was suitable for these waters around
      here, I could out run the storm, just like Capt Munroe.:-) I have
      only had to outrun one storm in the 5 years I have been sailing here.
      Unfortunately, that system sucked all the wind out of the air and
      caused me to row two miles to the ramp before the devil broke loose.
      Barely made it, too:-O. A motor would have been nice on that day.

      Dennis

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy
      <robrohdeszudy@...> wrote:

      > Hey Dennis,
      >
      > Roger is exactly right that L Michigan is rougher than the ocean.
      It's only like 500' deep at the most. That's under half the length of
      many of the freighters on it! Shallow water means vertical chop.

      > The suggestion of a Chebbaco is a good one. They're rather heavy,
      though. For taking on that kind of water and still trailer well, I
      think you could do no better than a Michalak Caprice. 900 lbs empty,
      water ballasted. Chuck Leinweber of DiwckworksMagazine.com built the
      prototype. It looks to me like a good match for L. Michigan. At least
      as good as you can get while trailering. You can read about Chuck's
      adventures on the above site.

      > Now, if you're stuck on building an Atkin design, I'd consider
      Big Surprise. A sailboat, but if the horizon starts looking dark you
      can jump up on plane and run for it at 18 mph. That's a damned nice
      feature. 'Course you have to build it in lapstrake.

      > --Rob
    • Rob Rohde-Szudy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
        You know, maybe I overstate the whole flat bottom=rough ride on L Michigan thing. I just rememberd that people use Dovekies on L Michigan and they're flat. They do get rough goign to windward in the chop you get at 20 mph of wind, but I guess they can handle it.

        Of course a Dovekie is very different from Excelsior. That big enclosed cabin is your reserve buoyancy! The closest home-buildable design would be something like Bolger's birdwatcher.

        --Rob

      • wayne_nicol
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 17, 2010
          hiya all
          has anybody built a "Surprise"
          ( is this two different boats-surprise and big surprise??)
          i would like to start one this winter. any feedback would be awesome
          thanks
          wayne